Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comming to America

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Comming to America

Well looks like I will be here a while. So I need to get a car and credit card and car insurance etc.

I have an excellent credit score at home in the UK using the same agangies you have here Equifax and Experian, anyone know if you can transfere that good score from thier to here? It will save me a lot of money time and effort!!! It's not like moving country will suddenly turn me into an untrustworth credit risk, if anything it ought to improve it!!!

ANy advice would be good
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Re: Comming to America

Sorry, nothing carries over. 

Will you be eligible for a SSN or an ITIN?  That can help you establish credit. 

Whatever bank you use back home might be able to assist you with certain accounts and possibly cards if they have branches here as well.

I recommend finding a good British Expat forum where you can find out from their pros how they did it and what they would suggest as the easiest routes for establishing your banking accounts and credit.

EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I will be eligible for a SSN and the other thing Smiley Happy

Ah well, you'd think that international companies would be just that so you could pass the information along, just like the Driving License, a total scam been driving for years but now need to sit a test in the US despite a nice clean record at home.
Message 3 of 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Glad to have you join us! (in both senses of the word.) Oh, and if you're a Top Gear fan, their episodes are about a half year behind on BBC America. They just did the one where they tried to turn a Reliant Robin into a space shuttle.

Have fun with the right hand drive thing. I'm bad enough as a pedestrian in Britain and Japan. Smiley Very Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 11
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Deech wrote:

Ah well, you'd think that international companies would be just that so you could pass the information along, just like the Driving License, a total scam been driving for years but now need to sit a test in the US despite a nice clean record at home.

Ah good then.  BTW welcome to the forum and to the US.  Smiley Happy

Motor Vehicles varies by state/county and usually your foreign license (with international permit if you got one from the UK) is adequate until you are formally a US resident.
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 5 of 11
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

SmartCookie wrote:

Deech wrote:

Ah good then.  BTW welcome to the forum and to the US.  Smiley Happy

Motor Vehicles varies by state/county and usually your foreign license (with international permit if you got one from the UK) is adequate until you are formally a US resident.

In NY I swapped my UK license for a NY one.

And I suggest getting your salary deposited straight into a Credit Union and trying them.  They might well be helpful in starting you off in the US.

And if you happen to have a UK Barclay's card, you might ask them (in UK) if they will transfer it to Juniper
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah good then. BTW welcome to the forum and to the US. Smiley Happy
Motor Vehicles varies by state/county and usually your foreign license (with international permit if you got one from the UK) is adequate until you are formally a US resident.

In NY I swapped my UK license for a NY one.
And I suggest getting your salary deposited straight into a Credit Union and trying them. They might well be helpful in starting you off in the US.
And if you happen to have a UK Barclay's card, you might ask them (in UK) if they will transfer it to Juniper

Hmmmmm I'm in Virginia, anyone any idea who to ask about swapping my License? Also whats this international permit thingy? Jeesh I must seems so dumb! As for depositing money I am all geared up with a Bank Of America account, my employer is in the same building so was an easy decision Smiley Happy

Sorry I seem to have drifted a little off Smiley Sad
Message 7 of 11
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

An international DL is something you can get in UK, and is a piece of rubbish really!

Ask at your local Driving Center what local regulatios are

Go to BoA in person, explain your situation and ask for a card.  You will presumably noy have a Credit Report.

This is how i got my first CC in the US each time I moved here.
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 8 of 11
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

VA DMV main site: http://www.dmv.state.va.us/

Seems you can drive with yours right now if you choose.  I don't know for how long until you are required to change it to a VA DL.

Message Edited by SmartCookie on 11-04-2007 04:10 PM
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.