Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card dispute question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit card dispute question

I recently had to file a dispute with Chase for a credit card charge that was not refunded following return of the merchandise received.  The return was fully authorized by the merchant, and everything I did was in accordance with the merhcant's policies.  The merchandise was shipped back to the merchant via UPS, and tracking information verified that it was received.  I sent the merchandise back in its original packaging, and it was never used, installed, etc.  

Chase has already issued a (temporary) credit to my account for the disputed amount.  However, the merchant has twice now asked me to cancel the dispute so they can issue a credit.  I ignored their first request, but then received a 2nd request from them to "remind (you) of canceling the dispute. Otherwise, you have to wait 3-4 months to get the dispute resolved due to the complicated process of bank side" and that upon my cancellation of the dispute, they would process the refund for me immediatelty.  I personally dont care how long it takes for the process to wrap up.

I just wanted to confirm -- there is zero requirement for me to cancel the dispute at the merchant's request, correct?  At this point in the dispute process, isn't it now up to the merchant to dispute the validity of my dispute?  From what I understand, the only instance in which Chase would re-charge my account for the transaction is if the dispute process finished finding me responsible for the charges.  I gave the merchant over a month from the time they received the returned merchandise to process the refund.  

Thanks

Rick

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit card dispute question

No do not cancel the dispute. In fact send those emails over to Chase as evidence of the merchant agreeing that you are right. They should find your favor very quickly and close the dispute.

Message 2 of 5
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I recently had to file a dispute with Chase for a credit card charge that was not refunded following return of the merchandise received.  The return was fully authorized by the merchant, and everything I did was in accordance with the merhcant's policies.  The merchandise was shipped back to the merchant via UPS, and tracking information verified that it was received.  I sent the merchandise back in its original packaging, and it was never used, installed, etc.  

Chase has already issued a (temporary) credit to my account for the disputed amount.  However, the merchant has twice now asked me to cancel the dispute so they can issue a credit.  I ignored their first request, but then received a 2nd request from them to "remind (you) of canceling the dispute. Otherwise, you have to wait 3-4 months to get the dispute resolved due to the complicated process of bank side" and that upon my cancellation of the dispute, they would process the refund for me immediatelty.  I personally dont care how long it takes for the process to wrap up.

I just wanted to confirm -- there is zero requirement for me to cancel the dispute at the merchant's request, correct?  At this point in the dispute process, isn't it now up to the merchant to dispute the validity of my dispute?  From what I understand, the only instance in which Chase would re-charge my account for the transaction is if the dispute process finished finding me responsible for the charges.  I gave the merchant over a month from the time they received the returned merchandise to process the refund.  

Thanks

Rick

You could tell them to issue the refund, and when you receive it you'll cancel the dispute.

But me personally, I would just cancel the dispute, and let them issue the refund.  If they don't give you the refund, you can always refile the dispute, this time adding fraud to the reasons.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

You could tell them to issue the refund, and when you receive it you'll cancel the dispute.

But me personally, I would just cancel the dispute, and let them issue the refund.  If they don't give you the refund, you can always refile the dispute, this time adding fraud to the reasons.

Nah.. Once the dispute is filed, the merchant cant issue the refund the directly.. This is because a) my bank has already issued me the temporary credit and b) the merchant has already had the amount of the dispute put on hold in their merchant account.  They've already sent me a screenshot from their system the first time they asked me to remove the dispute that said "Unable to refund $xxx.xx: dispute resolution in process"

But the question is -- why bother canceling the dispute to begin with?  My question was whether or not I was any obligation to do so.. And then worry if the dont issue the refund (when they already promised once that a refund would be issued in 3-5 days and a month passed before I had to file the dispute to begin with)?  And then have to open another dispute -- for what purpose?  I know some card networks like Discover -- forbid the merchant from even contacting the customer directly.

I think contacting Chase to inform them of this communication is probably the best choice.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

You gave them more than necessary time to issue the refund and they failed to do so. You have no obligation to remove the dispute. Keep the dispute and, as mentioned above, send a copy of the communication you received to Chase. It will only help your case.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.