Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit limit not reporting

tag
shane1978
Contributor

Credit limit not reporting

Is there a point where ones credit limit gets so high that the limit itself stops being reported to credit bureaus? I saw a post on here years ago addressing that issue but my search for it has yielded nothing. If this is the case, does anyone know the dollar amount?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Credit limit not reporting

I don't think I've heard of a credit limit not reporting. Perhaps you're thinking of a credit line not being factored into scoring? If so, I believe that's something on older scoring models, and the amount was over $50k maybe? I'm not sure, but I believe @K-in-Boston knows more.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 5
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

I don't think I've heard of a credit limit not reporting. Perhaps you're thinking of a credit line not being factored into scoring? If so, I believe that's something on older scoring models, and the amount was over $50k maybe? I'm not sure, but I believe @K-in-Boston knows more.

This, limits will report. Imagine the uproar if K's 99.9 Boa didnt report to the bureausSmiley Wink. MyFico would have outrage not seen since Sync closed whole portfolios.

Message 3 of 5
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Oh I would definitely be hurting if they didn't report!  For open accounts, all credit credit accounts will report a limit unless they are NPSL like Amex charge cards.

If the question was whether they are excluded from utilization metrics, there definitely is a point somewhere above $50k but less than $76.5k for some older FICO models such as mortgage scores.  Early last year I did some balance transfers and moved some very large balances onto my BOA card ($99.9k), an AU BOA card ($99.9k), and my Navy card ($76.5k and later $80k) and my mortgage scores absolutely soared since those cards were being ignored.  On the other hand, that also means that their available credit is not being used as a buffer when that would be beneficial.

But for modern scores like FICO 8 and FICO 9, they count just like any other card.

Message 4 of 5
shane1978
Contributor

Thank you everyone for clearing this up. Your responses definitely answered my question.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.