cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit newbie building credit with Secured Cards...looking for advice to obtain future loan

tag
b0yinterrupted
Valued Member

Credit newbie building credit with Secured Cards...looking for advice to obtain future loan

Hey all. I'm new to credit at 39 years old. Could never get approved for credit cards my whole life, but never really needed them. I never realized how important credit might be down the road. I will inherit my current home in the future and one day I asked myself how would I pay to remodel as I plan on keeping it. The place could use a little updating. I live with an older (66 year old) friend who is leaving it to me. Started reading about loans and credit here and on reddit. I've learned a lot so far.

I read that lenders like to see 5 lines of credit and I ended up opening 4 secured cards:

Discover: $200 Capital One: $250 Citi: $300 UsBank: $300

Maybe I was a little overzealous as my Vanatage Scores dropped significantly once they all reported. I understand they don't matter too much and FICO scores are what lenders use. I have about 4 months until I generate a FICO score.

My goals are:

Graduate all cards and keep them forever no matter what

Generate an acceptable FICO score within 2 years

Get a personal loan around $15,000 in the 3rd year to start remodeling. Should be plenty to start and future needs I would get a home equity loan when I actually own it.

What I'd like to know is will these 4 lines of credit with an exceptional 2 year payment history and low utilization doing a rotaing AZEO be enough to get me a loan? 

My income varies but it's on the lower end let's say $25,000. Don't judge I'm perfectly content, have everything I need and I obviously don't live beyond my means. 

Should I get a 5th card (unsecured) after my current cards age 1 year?

If yes what cards do you recommend that I'd be eligible for with my income and history? 

Prefer no annual fee, non BoA, rewards are nice but not necessary and I rarely travel so don't need that kind of card.

or

Should I get a secured loan instead to have a mix of credit when I apply for the real loan?

I currently don't drive so an auto loan is not an option right now.

Someone told me not to get a secured loan that I shouldn't have to pay to build credit. I just don't want to get turned down when I apply for the personal loan. Also don't want to pay for this with high interest credit cards.

I have a 10 year relationship with a local bank and right now their rate is 6.011%. Beats 22 and 25% that my cards have.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Some of you seem like credit experts so I value your input.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Credit newbie building credit with Secured Cards...looking for advice to obtain future loan

Hi @b0yinterrupted , and Welcome to The forum!

" I will inherit my current home in the future and one day I asked myself how would I pay to remodel as I plan on keeping it. The place could use a little updating"

Personally, I would look into a HELOC (Home equity line of credit) .. JMHO

I will let the pro's answer the rest  of your questions.Smiley Happy

Good Luck!

Message 2 of 9
b0yinterrupted
Valued Member

Re: Credit newbie building credit with Secured Cards...looking for advice to obtain future loan

"Personally, I would look into a HELOC (Home equity line of credit) .. JMHO"

I thought they were one and the same but they're not. Something I have to learn about. Thanks for your response!

Message 3 of 9
Face_Value
New Contributor

Hi, Welcome to the forums!!

While its not very difficult to generate a high fico score relatively quick. Assuming you are starting from a spotless credit report, you did not specify. Lenders weigh "length of history" quite heavily.  To secure a loan like the ones you mention at favorable terms might require more than just 2 years of history. JMHO. Once you own the home and have equity, that may be another matter entirely.

I have a 769 fico 8 score but only 1.4 year in history. I wouldnt qualify. 

Message 4 of 9
b0yinterrupted
Valued Member

"Assuming you are starting from a spotless credit report, you did not specify. "

My EQ and EX have nothing derogatory but TU shows one account in collections for $107 that falls off next year. I just did a pay for delete for a small medical bill, but this one I'm not paying. The collection agency spent pennies on the dollar and are trying to charge me $20 more than the original bill which I still have. I offered the original amount, they said no so thats how it is.

Message 5 of 9
W261w261
Frequent Contributor

I live with an older (66 year old) friend who is leaving it to me }

If I understand you correctly, you do not own the property yet.  As such, you cannot get a loan against it.  I knew a lady who got a huge divorce settlement.  Got remarried to another guy, who convinced her to take all her money and use it to remodel his penthouse.  That's HIS penthouse.  They got divorced, he got the remodel, she got nothing.  Just sayin'

Message 6 of 9
b0yinterrupted
Valued Member

"If I understand you correctly, you do not own the property yet.  As such, you cannot get a loan against it.  I knew a lady who got a huge divorce settlement.  Got remarried to another guy, who convinced her to take all her money and use it to remodel his penthouse.  That's HIS penthouse.  They got divorced, he got the remodel, she got nothing.  Just sayin'"

It would be a personal loan and I don't think she would screw me like that. I've been here 4 years with no conflicts. She is like a 2nd mother to me, but you never know people can change. Guess I'll axe that goal for now and focus on the credit building/saving more money. Thanks for making me stop and think about it a little more.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great plan. Focus on building your credit profile and in time you'll qualify for many things, some of which will not require property ownership. Long as your accounts and profile are solidly in order you should have little trouble.

Message 8 of 9
USMC_Winger
Frequent Contributor

@b0yinterrupted wrote:

I will inherit my current home in the future and one day I asked myself how would I pay to remodel as I plan on keeping it. The place could use a little updating. I live with an older (66 year old) friend who is leaving it to me. Started reading about loans and credit here and on reddit. I've learned a lot so far.

Whoa!  Don't put money into a home you don't own, yet.  Plans change, people change their minds, and people neglect to change their wills after promising to do so and then die unexpectedly.  If you don't own the home when you plan to upgrade it, then don't get a loan and upgrade it until your name is the only name on the deed.

My goals are:

Graduate all cards and keep them forever no matter what

Generate an acceptable FICO score within 2 years

Get a personal loan around $15,000 in the 3rd year to start remodeling. Should be plenty to start and future needs I would get a home equity loan when I actually own it.

What I'd like to know is will these 4 lines of credit with an exceptional 2 year payment history and low utilization doing a rotaing AZEO be enough to get me a loan? 

My income varies but it's on the lower end let's say $25,000.

With your level of income, the lender may insist on a longer loan term length to keep the monthly payments manageable, but if so, you'll pay more total interest for the loan amount.

Should I get a secured loan instead to have a mix of credit when I apply for the real loan?

I currently don't drive so an auto loan is not an option right now.

Someone told me not to get a secured loan that I shouldn't have to pay to build credit.

Not all secured loans are created equal.  Some lenders (like credit unions) release the amount of each payment a few days after your payment is made, so you have access to your own funds almost immediately after each payment, instead of waiting until the end of the loan to access your secured funds.

For example, I used the Share Secure Loan Technique (see The Quest For an SSL Alternative) to open a shares secured loan at Navy Federal Credit Union, paid it down to 8.9% with most of the loan amount they gave me, and Navy Fed released the hold on my shares 4 days later, so I can now spend the 91.1% of my secured loan money as I please.  Two weeks later, when the new loan reported to the CBs, I got a FICO Score 8 boost averaging nearly 30 points across the board for the credit mix category, since I only had 2 credit cards on my CRs before that.  I've paid the loan down a little further in the second month, then set it up for a $1 autopay every month.  For my trouble, it will cost me an average of about $2 a year in interest for the next 5 years, and I get to keep the FICO score boost the entire time.

Set yourself up for success, whether you need to apply for a HELOC for your inherited house, or you decide to sell the house to buy another home where you need a small mortgage.  My advice is to add a secured loan to your credit mix where you get access to your funds equal to the payment you made quickly after you make each payment and where the loan's end date never changes when you pre-pay most of the loan, as in the SSL Technique I described above.

Good luck!

FICOs:

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.