Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DV DV DV DV DV DV!!!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

DV DV DV DV DV DV!!!!!

I recently DV a collection letter and they responded with a letter stating they had verified the information as correct with the OC.  They did not send me a copy of the bill or anything.  They just simply sent me letter stating they had verified the information.  What should I do now?

Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: DV DV DV DV DV DV!!!!!

Question: Did you send the DV in response to a dunning letter? This is the initial collection letter sent by the CA stating the debt, OC, and also stating that you have 30 days, etc., etc., etc.

If you did, and if you requested info from them like an accounting, OC info, acct info, etc, then they are in violation of the FDCPA.

Which CA was it?
Message 2 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

lolo  what did your DV say?   If you copied from here you didn't ask for them to verify!

post your letter in here!
Message 3 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, II sent them a letter in response to the initial letter I received from them, CMI.  The letter said I owe an amount from OC and unless I notify the office within 30 days they will assume the debt is valid.  I DV them within 30 days.  They sent me letter stating they had received my letter.  Then, literally three days after that letter I received a letter from them stating they had verified the debt with the OC.
Message 4 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I stated in my letter to them that you claim I owe you a debt.  Per the FDPCA please verify this debt.  That was all I said.  They sent me a letter stating they had received my letter.  Then, they sent me a letter stating they had verified the debt with the OC.   However, they did not include a bill or anything.  The CA is CMI.  At the time I lived in TX.  I now live in Chicago.  Oh, it's really cold here tooSmiley Happy
Message 5 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does it matter that I now live in another state than were the original incident took place?
Message 6 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

for good advice you need to give complete info!
What is the DOFD or DOLA??  what is it for a CC or signed contract...auto loan, personal loan what?

Yes they can go by either state SOL!

on a CC SOL is in T is 4 years.....Il. is 5 years and 10 for contract.

creditor verifies to a CRA...the DV is a  Debt Validation notice.

All DVs  go CMRRR

Did you send it CMRRR??

Message Edited by HappyDays on 12-16-2007 11:16 PM
Message 7 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was a cable bill...I am not worried about DOFD.  I just want to know if the letter CMI sent to me constituted a debt validation.  Their letter only said "we have verified the debt with the OC.  You still owe the debt."  That was it.  No bill or anything.  Let me also say this item is not on my cra.  I am trying to prevent that from happening.
Message 8 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

No it doesn't!!!  you also need to know if the CA has to be licened or bonded in Il and Tx.   If they do are they?

Message Edited by HappyDays on 12-16-2007 11:18 PM
Message 9 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Must provide, Amount, Who the OC is/was, and who owns the debt.

On you original DV- you must state- "I dispute the validity of this debt" -

Sounds like the CA either has no idea what they are doing or took the letter as a dispute letter instead of a DV.

§ 809. Validation of debts [15 USC 1692g]

(a) Within five days after the initial communication with a consumer in connection with the collection of any debt, a debt collector shall, unless the following information is contained in the initial communication or the consumer has paid the debt, send the consumer a written notice containing --

(1) the amount of the debt;

(2) the name of the creditor to whom the debt is owed;

(3) a statement that unless the consumer, within thirty days after receipt of the notice, disputes the validity of the debt, or any portion thereof, the debt will be assumed to be valid by the debt collector;

(4) a statement that if the consumer notifies the debt collector in writing within the thirty-day period that the debt, or any portion thereof, is disputed, the debt collector will obtain verification of the debt or a copy of a judgment against the consumer and a copy of such verification or judgment will be mailed to the consumer by the debt collector; and

(5) a statement that, upon the consumer's written request within the thirty-day period, the debt collector will provide the consumer with the name and address of the original creditor, if different from the current creditor.

(b) If the consumer notifies the debt collector in writing within the thirty-day period described in subsection (a) that the debt, or any portion thereof, is disputed, or that the consumer requests the name and address of the original creditor, the debt collector shall cease collection of the debt, or any disputed portion thereof, until the debt collector obtains verification of the debt or any copy of a judgment, or the name and address of the original creditor, and a copy of such verification or judgment, or name and address of the original creditor, is mailed to the consumer by the debt collector.

(c) The failure of a consumer to dispute the validity of a debt under this section may not be construed by any court as an admission of liability by the consumer.
Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.