Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Date of first delinquency question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Date of first delinquency question

My dofd is 4/2009. The account was delinquent (30, 60 days here and there) until 9/2010 at which it was brought current and then the account was paid in full 10/2010. What are the chances I could have this account removed next month 4/2016? Thanks for your advice.  

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Date of first delinquency question

@Anonymous wrote:

My dofd is 4/2009. The account was delinquent (30, 60 days here and there) until 9/2010 at which it was brought current and then the account was paid in full 10/2010. What are the chances I could have this account removed next month 4/2016? Thanks for your advice.  

This is on an OC tradeline?  Just hang out and the lates will start getting excluded, that account will eventually turn positive and then stay on till roughly 10/2020.  I wouldn't try to get the account removed personally.  It doesn't quite work like the DOFD on a collection or other derogatory assuming I've interpreted your post correctly.

        
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

This was on an auto loan. For over a good year the payments never made it on time. I filed a dispute on the account a year ago because it HD false information on how the account was paid and I won the dispute. In the dispute I also questioned the date of first delinquency and received a letter back from Toyota stating my dofd was 4/16 and that the account would stay on my record until then. Im about to sell a house and buy another and was just trying to figure out what I should do with the mark on my credit.
Message 3 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
This was on an auto loan. For over a good year the payments never made it on time. I filed a dispute on the account a year ago because it HD false information on how the account was paid and I won the dispute. In the dispute I also questioned the date of first delinquency and received a letter back from Toyota stating my dofd was 4/16 and that the account would stay on my record until then. Im about to sell a house and buy another and was just trying to figure out what I should do with the mark on my credit.

OC = original creditor, auto loans would fall under this category.  Those don't work quite the same way as a collection where DOFD is the benchmark for deletion, namely individual lates will be excluded once they hit the 7 year mark but the tradeline will still be reported.

Post over in Rebuilding Your Credit in terms of getting TFS (or whoever the lienholder was) to delete rather than waiting for the exclusion which doesn't really solve your situation.

        
Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The ONLY relevance of DOFD is to set the exclusion date of a reported collection or charge-off.

If the OC never reported a charge-off, then there was no requirement to ever have reported a DOFD, as it is irrrelevant to any issue of credit reporting or credit report exclusion.  See FCRA 605(a)(4) and 605(c).

If an account was ever delinquent, yes, you will have a date that it first went delinquent, but what is commonly called the "DOFD" is restricted under FCRA 605(c) to the date of commencement (i.e., first) date of the delinquency that immediately preceded a reported collection or charge-off.  With no charge-off reported by the OC, you do not have a delinquency that meets the definition of what is called a DOFD.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone. I posted over in the debt rebuild.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.