Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debit Card Scam and EQ Scorewatch - A common link

tag
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Debit Card Scam and EQ Scorewatch - A common link

dizzier wrote:
umm wow! fused you might want to give your self time to calm down before you go crazy closing accounts!

Huh? It's people in my situation who do nothing that get nailed! The BBB in Hawaii is a useless group and the AG is yawning. I understand that $4.95 is small amount of money but what could this lead to? Should I assume they only know my check-card number, expiration date and cvv? There is no way for me to know what they know. I have to do what ever is necessary to protect my family and me.
Message 21 of 43
dizzier
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
fused, slow down and take a breath. I know it's disheartening, but not the end of the world. I can agree with freezing your cr's and canceling SW, but the other things seem extreme in the circumstances.

yes please fused. You are going to regret this once you've had a chance to really THINK about what you are doing.

it seems like most people are coming out of this relatively unscathed. just change account numbers but for goodness sake don't close anything!

Until Chase lowers my ridiculously high APR they can kiss my patootie! Their card has been retired to the sockdrawer. Smiley Mad
Message 22 of 43
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Who cares about scores, if I lose a few points by temporarily closing some accounts with balances so be it. Like I said, who knows what they know. Why should I assume they only stole my check-card info? Assuming this is nuts!
Message 23 of 43
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Standard illegal procedure is to do a small test of stolen info to see if it is good.  If it works, then start stealing big!

This particular case may be that, or it may be someone thinking if they steal $4.95 a million times, they can give up and retire  Smiley Happy

Message Edited by MidnightVoice on 11-27-2007 12:21 PM
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 24 of 43
fused
Moderator Emeritus

MidnightVoice wrote:
Standard illegal procedure is to do a small test of stolen info to see if it is good.  If it works, then start stealing big!

This particular case may be that, or it may be someone thinking if they steal $4.95 a million times, they can give up and retire  Smiley Happy

Message Edited by MidnightVoice on 11-27-2007 12:21 PM

This is exactly what I'm thinking!
Message 25 of 43
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

fused wrote:

This is exactly what I'm thinking!

Great minds think alike  Smiley Very Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 26 of 43
fused
Moderator Emeritus

This may not be news to some but it is to me. Really sick stuff!

Message 27 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh that is so unbelievable scary fused. Why are such chat rooms and websites allowed to even exist?

Thanks for the article. (suggestion: post it in the credit news threads).
Message 28 of 43
Ausfarm
Regular Contributor

Fused, I agree w/ the others.  Don't over react.  Even if you did all that stuff, it doesn't guaranty your information is safe. You're information can just as easily be stolen out of a mailbox.  Close the bank account and open up a new account.  In the future NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use you bank card for an internet transaction.  NEVER.  If you can help it, NEVER use your bank card for any transaction.  If a thief steals your credit card number, the most you'll be liable for to the cc company is $50.  A consumer has way more protection using a cc than a bank card.  Although, banks are getting better, they don't have to help you the same way a cc company does.  A thief can clean out your bank account and, unless your bank is nice, you can be left holding the bag. 
Message 29 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

I second that--NEVER use a debit card for just about anything--especially online. If a company goes under whom you purchased goods from with a debit card you may never see that money again. If you used a credit card it's as simple as calling them up and telling them you never made the purchase. I've had this happen to me several times--and a credit card has saved my A$$.

Make it a habit--stop using debit cards.

Use cash, Use credit, but don't use debit.
Message 30 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.