cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Derogatory public record of collection filed… but TransUnion says this is wrong?

tag
alexis30
New Visitor

Derogatory public record of collection filed… but TransUnion says this is wrong?

Hi all,

For some background info, on 6/21/22, my Orthodontist pulled my credit report via TransUnion because they wanted to offer me a payment plan for my Invisalign. On 7/05/22, I pulled my credit report via TransUnion to see what they would see… which is all of my credit cards and student loans in good standing with zero missed payments ever.

It wasn’t until tonight that my Orthodontist emailed me a copy of the contract I signed, which included the credit score (857 out of a range of 925) and the key factors adversely affecting my credit score. One of those key factors included:

Derogatory public record of collection filed

When I saw this, I immediately rechecked my TransUnion credit report as well as my reports from Experian and Equifax. But as I expected, I have zero derogatory remarks, late payments, bankruptcies or anything negative on my reports. And as I should, I’ve always paid everything on time, including medical bills, utility bills, etc.

In fear of reading this wrong, I just called TransUnion a little while ago and talked to a customer service rep. He again verified I have no collections against me and nothing negative, he assured me I’ve made every single payment on time. He’s also mailing me a physical copy of my credit report.

So my question is, where is this coming from? Will this show up later on my reports? I don’t understand how my Orthodontist is saying they pulled this from my TransUnion report when TransUnion says this doesn’t exist. I’m going to call my Orthodontist tomorrow, but I fear that they’re just going to tell me to call TransUnion, which I already have.

I’m just utterly lost and confused and this definitely influenced my Orthodontist in the payment plan they offered me. Sure, I was going to pay it out of pocket anyways, but still it’s frustrating that they thought I wasn’t going to pay them on time etc.

Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Derogatory public record of collection filed… but TransUnion says this is wrong?

@alexis30  Your credit score is fantastic. But I must mention the obvious discrepancy that stands out. Current credit score models do not go to 925. FICO score 9 can go as high as 900. So this only leaves two old and outdated score models: VantageScores 1.0 and 2.0 can go as high as 990. And Experian National Risk Score can go as high as 1000. But to my knowledge, these two scoring models are retired and no longer used. I believe this is why you are seeing inaccurate information. 

Message 2 of 23
Murph5065
Contributor

Re: Derogatory public record of collection filed… but TransUnion says this is wrong?

@alexis30 wrote:

Hi all,

For some background info, on 6/21/22, my Orthodontist pulled my credit report via TransUnion because they wanted to offer me a payment plan for my Invisalign. On 7/05/22, I pulled my credit report via TransUnion to see what they would see… which is all of my credit cards and student loans in good standing with zero missed payments ever.

It wasn’t until tonight that my Orthodontist emailed me a copy of the contract I signed, which included the credit score (857 out of a range of 925) and the key factors adversely affecting my credit score. One of those key factors included:

Derogatory public record of collection filed

When I saw this, I immediately rechecked my TransUnion credit report as well as my reports from Experian and Equifax. But as I expected, I have zero derogatory remarks, late payments, bankruptcies or anything negative on my reports. And as I should, I’ve always paid everything on time, including medical bills, utility bills, etc.

In fear of reading this wrong, I just called TransUnion a little while ago and talked to a customer service rep. He again verified I have no collections against me and nothing negative, he assured me I’ve made every single payment on time. He’s also mailing me a physical copy of my credit report.

So my question is, where is this coming from? Will this show up later on my reports? I don’t understand how my Orthodontist is saying they pulled this from my TransUnion report when TransUnion says this doesn’t exist. I’m going to call my Orthodontist tomorrow, but I fear that they’re just going to tell me to call TransUnion, which I already have.

I’m just utterly lost and confused and this definitely influenced my Orthodontist in the payment plan they offered me. Sure, I was going to pay it out of pocket anyways, but still it’s frustrating that they thought I wasn’t going to pay them on time etc.

Thanks for any help.

He probably pulled your report from lexus nexus, innovis or sagestream where it shows the derogitory comments.

Message 3 of 23
alexis30
New Visitor

@Anonymous @Murph5065 

Link to the report they sent me 

Hi, thanks for the replies! Here's what they sent me... so I'm super confused then if it's suppose to max out at 900. I don't know a lot about credit scores but I know my Fico Score 8 is 800 according to my AMEX.

edit: If they pulled TU according to this, could they have pulled from the things you two are suggesting? Thanks again for the help!

Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Murph5065  I think you nailed it.

Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@alexis30  and @Murph5065  Ok, I see the attached report. And it says Transunion. So it looks like my original suspicion might be it. Perhaps they are using an old scoring model that is retired and no longer used. And perhaps this is the reason for the inaccurate information.

Message 6 of 23
Murph5065
Contributor

@alexis30 wrote:

@Anonymous @Murph5065 

Link to the report they sent me 

Hi, thanks for the replies! Here's what they sent me... so I'm super confused then if it's suppose to max out at 900. I don't know a lot about credit scores but I know my Fico Score 8 is 800 according to my AMEX.

edit: If they pulled TU according to this, could they have pulled from the things you two are suggesting? Thanks again for the help!

Go to the 3 sites i suggested and input your info and login there and see what you can find, fico 8 does not go above 850 right now that i know of and fico 9 and 10 are slowly emerging so my thought are that they did not pull from fico what so ever.

Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Murph5065  I concur with checking the three sites you suggested.

Message 8 of 23
Who_wuda_thought
Frequent Contributor

@alexis30 

The report you link to identifies the Transunion score model as "Transunion New Account Score".

That is an actual TU score model itself, which does in fact have a score range of 400 to 925.

Here is a link with the many different specialized Transunion score models:

https://www.transunion.com/docs/financialServices/FS_ScoresOverview.pdf

I would focus on that when making inquiries with Transunion about this particular issue.

Scores as of April 4, 2024:

Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Impressive @Who_wuda_thought . Great job.

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.