Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference in scores

tag
haleyjen
Regular Contributor

Difference in scores

I just tried checking my rate with Avant to see, and the score they gave me in the adverse action letter is 40 points less than what Credit Karma says.  What gives?  This was TU, if that helps.

BOA Cash Rewards - $500 Capital One Quicksilver: $750 Merrick Double Your Line Visa.- $1000 Mission Lane: $400 Grain: $875 J Crew: $1100
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Difference in scores

Credit Karma uses Vantage 3 which very few lenders use. It's good for checking your reports but ignore the scores
Message 2 of 7
haleyjen
Regular Contributor

So, it's old FICO where nothing ever comes off?

BOA Cash Rewards - $500 Capital One Quicksilver: $750 Merrick Double Your Line Visa.- $1000 Mission Lane: $400 Grain: $875 J Crew: $1100
Message 3 of 7
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I agree CK is going to be off as it is. Then, it also depends on the score Avant is also using. Is it FICO?

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 4 of 7
haleyjen
Regular Contributor

Yes, it's FICO.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can't compare a Vantage 3.0 score (CK) to a FICO score.  Apples to oranges.

Some people have reported relatively close scores where others have reported them 60, 80 even 100 points different.

Message 6 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@haleyjen wrote:

I just tried checking my rate with Avant to see, and the score they gave me in the adverse action letter is 40 points less than what Credit Karma says.  What gives?  This was TU, if that helps.

It's not just the CRA that matters but the scoring model as well.  You always need to consider both the specific scoring model and the CRA when referencing scores.  Different scoring models evaluate report data differently and can have different scoring ranges so, as stated above, you cannot use a score generated by one model to determine a score generated by a different model -- or assume that they should be the same or similar.  Two different models may be coincidentally close or even produce the same number but remember that coincidental is not causal so don't assume a causal relationship based on coincidence.

@Anonymous wrote:
Credit Karma uses Vantage 3 which very few lenders use. It's good for checking your reports but ignore the scores

For any scoring model consider the relevance of the model & CRA to the creditor/product.  This applies to FICO as well.  FICO doesn't have just one model (see also the Understanding FICO Scoring subforum and its stickies) used by all creditors/products and not all of them use FICO.  Figure out what model & CRA is used in the credit decision and then go pull that specific score.  Don't assume that you can just pick a FICO and rely on it for all creditors/products.

@haleyjen wrote:

Yes, it's FICO.

Which one?

@Anonymous wrote:

You can't compare a Vantage 3.0 score (CK) to a FICO score.  Apples to oranges. 

Even FICO models differ in how the evaluate report data and can have different scoring ranges.  You cannot use one FICO model to determine score with a different FICO model.  All the above info applies to any scoring model out there whether FAKO or FICO.

As an example, some of my latest FICO's:

EX FICO 8: 805

EX FICO 8 Bankcard: 830

EX FICO 2: 772

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.