Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover reminder

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover reminder

Friendly reminder to everyone. Don't forget to activate your next quarter 5% cash back catagory on your Discover cards
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover reminder

That's interesting.  I didn't realize you could activate July-Sept this early in the game.  Is that true with the other cards that offer rotating 5% quarterly categories?  (E.g. Chase Freedom, Citi Dividend, etc.)

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

That's interesting.  I didn't realize you could activate July-Sept this early in the game.  Is that true with the other cards that offer rotating 5% quarterly categories?  (E.g. Chase Freedom, Citi Dividend, etc.)

I didn't realize it either, but I indeed did just activate Q3 on Discover.  I just tried on Freedom as well, but no go.  In fact, they don't even have Q3s categories listed yet; It still says "coming soon."

As a side note, I think it's ridiculous that someone needs to "activate" the #1 perk/reason why people get a CC.  The only reason I can think of that they require activation is that the creditor is banking on some people forgetting to activate them and saving money.  It just seems like a grimy practice.  You don't see Citi requiring people to activate the 2% on their Double Cash.  You don't see Amex requiring people to activate the 6% groceries on their BCP.  Those are the reasons why people get those cards, as the 5% categories are the reasons why people get Discover/Freedom etc. so IMO cut the BS and stop requiring activation.

Message 3 of 10
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

I just did mine today. It really is annoying that you have to do that. 🙄

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

However, Citi DC is only 1% with the other 1% when payed. So it technically needs activated by payment. lol

As for Amex, most of their cards have an AF where Discover does not. Amex also charges higher swipe fees. 

Sure it would be nice if they were automatic, but you can't fault a CC for trying to save Money. The same way not every store that sells food codes as grocery with Amex, nor the other categories for that matter. It takes a little work sometimes to know where one will get those perks, and whee they wont.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Sure it would be nice if they were automatic, but you can't fault a CC for trying to save Money.

I sure can when their means of trying to save money is banking on a certain percentage of individuals to forget to "activate" the #1 reason that they got their card in the first place every 3 months.

Message 6 of 10
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I activated mine last month.

Message 7 of 10
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I didn't realize it either, but I indeed did just activate Q3 on Discover.  I just tried on Freedom as well, but no go.  In fact, they don't even have Q3s categories listed yet; It still says "coming soon."

As a side note, I think it's ridiculous that someone needs to "activate" the #1 perk/reason why people get a CC.  The only reason I can think of that they require activation is that the creditor is banking on some people forgetting to activate them and saving money.  It just seems like a grimy practice.  You don't see Citi requiring people to activate the 2% on their Double Cash.  You don't see Amex requiring people to activate the 6% groceries on their BCP.  Those are the reasons why people get those cards, as the 5% categories are the reasons why people get Discover/Freedom etc. so IMO cut the BS and stop requiring activation.

Citi DC & Amex BCP/E are fixed categories, they never change, Discover/Freedom are rotating categories. But yes, requiring activations is a "you snooze, you lose" proposition and they do hope a certain percentage will forget and only get 1% rewards. But then Discover does make it pretty easy, for the next quarter on Discover's website there's a link "reminder to activate" and when I click that it adds the reminder to my MS Outlook calandar. On May 1 the reminder popped up so I logged in to Disco and activated.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I went to activate my 5% and this is what I saw...

Boo Disco!Boo Disco!

Message 9 of 10
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Sure it would be nice if they were automatic, but you can't fault a CC for trying to save Money.

I sure can when their means of trying to save money is banking on a certain percentage of individuals to forget to "activate" the #1 reason that they got their card in the first place every 3 months.

I didn't get Disover or Freedom for that reason. Parise for Amex makes my eyes roll. The slimyiest issuer I have. My stapler is complaining that I ran down the neighborhood when I put Amex cards in that drawer. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.