cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute or Not to Dispute?? That is the question...

tag
bgr30
Established Member

Re: Dispute or Not to Dispute?? That is the question...

Thank you everyone. I think I will just wait a couple months to see if it falls off on its own. I appreciate that fast responses and assistance.

Message 11 of 15
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Disputes can have negative consequences: if something is coming off in short order unless you really need it off right now (and I'd argue unless you're planning for a mortgage before it falls off, you don't in the current market).

I disputed a tax lien on Transunion, and it was originally scheduled to fall off 10/2017, but then TU got more complete information from the State of California, and now it's scheduled for 11/2018 removal unless I get lucky with NCAP.

Disputes aren't free, and they can go poorly; while my case is just one one cautionary tale sometimes poking the bear is not the recommended solution.

        
Message 12 of 15
EW800
Valued Contributor

Revelate, wow that is sad/sickening about the fall off date getting extended by more than a year. I'd be sick....
I agree about bei careful with disputes. I've never done a dispute of any item, however I had a GW letter to Citi backfire a couple of years ago. They put the "consumer disagrees..." comment on there, which took a long time to get taken off. Getting the drop off date extended is much worse. Smiley Sad
Very sorry.
Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 13 of 15
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@EW800 wrote:
Revelate, wow that is sad/sickening about the fall off date getting extended by more than a year. I'd be sick....
I agree about bei careful with disputes. I've never done a dispute of any item, however I had a GW letter to Citi backfire a couple of years ago. They put the "consumer disagrees..." comment on there, which took a long time to get taken off. Getting the drop off date extended is much worse. Smiley Sad
Very sorry.

Was my own fault for not leaving well enough alone; I'd sort of assumed it was free and clear to take a flier to get it airstruck now, but the Cali loan on TU was in some wierd Paid state... and it updated via the dispute to the correct released state, and then based on TU's policies of 7 years since released, the date got extended.

Was a FML moment to be sure, but it's Transunion which I care nearly nothing about anyway as I have to go way out of my way to get anyone to pull TU, and even 2/3 clean is just fine for a mortgage here in the US so it's not a huge deal in the long run.  

Maybe NCAP throws me a bone heh, FICO Gods owe me something right?!?!?

        
Message 14 of 15
loyalsudz
Regular Contributor

I am glad I ran across this information.  I have 3 separate 30 days late from August 2010. My scores are improving but I would love to see the 800s but I rather not risk EE based on these cautionary tales. These the last of the baddies but I think I will just wait since, I am not looking to buy anything right now with the exception of maybe a car if my beater tanks, which I hope will not be anytime soon.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.