Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputing with CRAs

tag
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Disputing with CRAs

When disputing with CRAs do we have to dispute with each CRA or is there a central place we can submit the dispute and that would be sent to all 3 major CRAs ?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Disputing with CRAs

If the error is across all 3 bureaus, you must dispute with each individual one. Unless you do a "direct dispute" with the creditor, then it sometimes gets sent out to all 3 bureaus.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 7
NaimeseOGK
Regular Contributor

When I disputed a collection with experian. Transunion and Equifax ended up deleting the collection without me disputing with them.

Message 3 of 7
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@NaimeseOGK wrote:

When I disputed a collection with experian. Transunion and Equifax ended up deleting the collection without me disputing with them.

The CA got the dispute info from EX. And since they report to all 3. They probably sent it out to delete to the other 2 CRA's. The three national credit reporting agencies don't share information with each other and not all lenders or creditors report to each. As such, your credit reports from TransUnion, Equifax and Experian can contain different information about you.

Message 4 of 7
ficonovice
Frequent Contributor

I have a collection account that is set to drop off my reports in approx. 1 year.

I'm inclined to dispute it, but don't want to touch it if I run the risk of it being "re-aged" somehow.

Generally speaking, is it safe to dispute collection accounts without adverse actions occurring?

Thanks.

Rust never sleeps and neither does my fico score...
Message 5 of 7
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@ficonovice wrote:

I have a collection account that is set to drop off my reports in approx. 1 year.

I'm inclined to dispute it, but don't want to touch it if I run the risk of it being "re-aged" somehow.

Generally speaking, is it safe to dispute collection accounts without adverse actions occurring?

Thanks.

It can't be legally re-aged, but it can and will probably be updated, which, while it won't make it stay on your reports longer, WILL make it look "fresh" to the FICO algorithm, costing you points if it hasn't updated in a long time.

Why do you want to dispute it?

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 6 of 7
NaimeseOGK
Regular Contributor

You plan on applying for anything within the year ? 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.