Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you trust Credit Karma?

tag
GrayStar
New Contributor

Do you trust Credit Karma?

I know they use VantageScore to determine which cards you are most likely to qualify for instead of using the real FICO score. Please share your opinions. 

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Do you trust Credit Karma?

It's all marketing. They don't recommend anything based on any specifics in your report. Experian does the same thing with the FICO score they provide. Just marketing.

Message 2 of 29
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@GrayStar wrote:

I know they use VantageScore to determine which cards you are most likely to qualify for instead of using the real FICO score. Please share your opinions. 

NOPE  ..............................  it's all marketing

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 3 of 29
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Well there is one thing, certain cards, like OLLO, you need to be invited for. The only way around it is if it's offered through credit karma or Experian.

Message 4 of 29
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

My personal opinion, no.

Although there's been some reported successes, albeit very limited, you're better off using a lender's portal for a variety of pre-qualified offers.  Sites such as those from HSBC, Discover, AmEx, Chase, BBVA, BB&T, Citi, PNC, Capital One, Petal, etc., would be more reliable than CK. 

Message 5 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GrayStar Personally, I admire CK for what they provide free weekly Vantage scores for Transunion and Equifax. It's incredibly helpful for basic monitoring and everything is explained in a very understandable way. No doubt tons of people use it, which is better than not monitoring your credit at all.

The recommendations are marketing as mentioned above, and the scores are vantage so not especially helpful.

Outside of that, I use their services and would encourage others to do so with the caveat that one goes in knowing those scores are not true FICO scores and can vary widely from actual scores. 

Message 6 of 29
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

It's all marketing. They don't recommend anything based on any specifics in your report. Experian does the same thing with the FICO score they provide. Just marketing.

My favorite thing about Experian's "Credit Match" is all the starter and rebuilder cards it recommends to me.  Super targeted marketing, guys.

Message 7 of 29
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Slabenstein wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

My favorite thing about Experian's "Credit Match" is all the starter and rebuilder cards it recommends to me.  Super targeted marketing, guys.

Really? Darn. I was hoping my "recommended/pre-approved" cards would improve as my score/profile improved. Smiley LOL

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 8 of 29
ccquest
Established Contributor

I trust them for what I use them for, which is weekly updates of my EQ and TU reports in an easily digestible manner that just works every time unlike trying to request through AnnualCreditReport.com which regularly gives different types of errors. Although Vantage isn't really used by anyone, it still gives some sense of overall movement even though they notch it up by 5-10x the impact it seems lol.
as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 9 of 29
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

It's a useful tool for checking on accounts, inquiries, AAoA, etc., but I wouldn't trust CK's recommendations as far as applying for cards. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 13k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.