Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EX Credit Utilization = 109%

tag
dryanaz80
Valued Member

EX Credit Utilization = 109%

Hi all, 

I've searched and can't seem to find any solid info on this, so I'm hoping someone with more insight than me can help?

Experians Daily Update Subscription shows that my credit card utilization is 109%.  How is this possible? 

No account is over its limit. I have TL ranging in individual util from 0% to 95%. (I know, I know, the highest util should come down below 90% when my next statement reports.)

From the MyFICO summary page, my util is 80% across all 3. My accounts listed for whatever reason when I click on more details gives me an "undefined" error. I checked the accounts listed and for whatever reason, MyFICO does not show my Barclays card as closed, not even under Experian, when it's been closed for a few years at my request, no baddies, and it does show a util of 37% - balance of $1546 and SL of $4200.  Experians site, along with credit karma and others, all show account as closed per consumer.  

So, if Experian shows the card as closed, why is it a) showing as open on MyFICO b) util percentage is showing across all 3 CR on this site, yet EX site is apparently reading the outstanding balance but not the SL.  

My understanding was that a closed account could still report your util. Which is fine, I'll take the extra positive payments especially as I bring that percentage down. If the balance reports, doesn't the SL have to report also? It looks from EX site my revolving balances are greater than my available credit. If they're excluding the 4200 SL from this closed account, shouldn't the balance not be included in the calc? And, why would their site show 109% yet here EX shows 80% overall and account is not closed here when it's closed on their site? 

I don't beamy to initiate a dispute and risk a drop in scores, but if a lender or other pulls EX, are they getting data as shown by MyFICO site or EX site?  

Thank you!!!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: EX Credit Utilization = 109%

@dryanaz80 wrote:

Hi all, 

I've searched and can't seem to find any solid info on this, so I'm hoping someone with more insight than me can help?

Experians Daily Update Subscription shows that my credit card utilization is 109%.  How is this possible? 

No account is over its limit. I have TL ranging in individual util from 0% to 95%. (I know, I know, the highest util should come down below 90% when my next statement reports.)

From the MyFICO summary page, my util is 80% across all 3. My accounts listed for whatever reason when I click on more details gives me an "undefined" error. I checked the accounts listed and for whatever reason, MyFICO does not show my Barclays card as closed, not even under Experian, when it's been closed for a few years at my request, no baddies, and it does show a util of 37% - balance of $1546 and SL of $4200.  Experians site, along with credit karma and others, all show account as closed per consumer.  

So, if Experian shows the card as closed, why is it a) showing as open on MyFICO b) util percentage is showing across all 3 CR on this site, yet EX site is apparently reading the outstanding balance but not the SL.  

My understanding was that a closed account could still report your util. Which is fine, I'll take the extra positive payments especially as I bring that percentage down. If the balance reports, doesn't the SL have to report also? It looks from EX site my revolving balances are greater than my available credit. If they're excluding the 4200 SL from this closed account, shouldn't the balance not be included in the calc? And, why would their site show 109% yet here EX shows 80% overall and account is not closed here when it's closed on their site? 

I don't beamy to initiate a dispute and risk a drop in scores, but if a lender or other pulls EX, are they getting data as shown by MyFICO site or EX site?  

Thank you!!!

A closed revolving account limit does not count towards available credit, but its balance does count towards your total of balances. So by having closed accounts with balances you could wind up with > 100% utilization.

Does it make sense? Actually, unlike many other things in the FICO algorithms, it kind of does make sense. The limit on a closed account is no longer available to you, but the balance is still there around your neck as money owed.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 8
dryanaz80
Valued Member

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm still confused as I've read elsewhere that closed accounts can count toward your utilization, but it would report it against the SL.  This is why I assume I'm seeing 37% for the account reported here. I have a closed cap1 - also closed by me - that had a SL of $12,000 and I'm just under half of that being paid down, but it's not reporting into my balances or overall util on either Experian site or myFICO site.  

And, looking at the little graph it gives numbers as well, with credit/retail card debt showing about $2175 higher than total credit limit. The 109% is not showing on any other site as again, it's at 80% across all 3 CR (as of 2/24 - get my new reports in 2 days) and credit karma, WalletHub, credit sesame all show 77-80 % overall util so maybe I'll chalk this up to an error that's only internal at EX bc the score shown there matches the score shown here. 

Message 3 of 8
donkort
Valued Contributor

This utilization thing is why unpaid collections bite you in the butt like they do.

It's the fact of the collections, plus the utilization, which are aggravating factors.

A closed credit card with a balance is not a good thing, FICO-wise.

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 4 of 8
dryanaz80
Valued Member

Even though nothing is in collections, nothing is over its limit?  Closing my Venture card hurt because it lowered my available credit, but the balance also was not factored into my util, so I've bounced back since then.  And why isn't myFICO showing the account as closed even though vantage and EX show the TL in question ... Barclays... as closed?  🤷🏻‍♂️

Message 5 of 8
donkort
Valued Contributor

Do you have personal loans, or student loans?

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 6 of 8
dryanaz80
Valued Member

I have student loans. But again, this section on the EX app refers specifically to credit card/retail TLs.  There's other inconsistencies I've noticed on their app as well where it shows my oldest account is like 9 years old, but then in a different spot in the app it says my oldest account was opened 15 years and 5 months ago - this is my student loan which they list as closed in one spot but then list as deferred payments in another section.  So, Im skeptical of what I'm seeing.... AND - I paid off an account that was at 74% util and EX app and MyFICO both caught the alert, but the 109% util did not change. Nor did my score 🤷🏻‍♂️

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's the simplist way to look at it. All your credit cards are included in "Revolving Utilization" category. The category counts as 35% overall of your credit score.

An "open" account counts towards your revolving utilization of credit.

An "closed" account doesn't count against your revolving utilization. Unless you still owe a balance. They do their formula with only the balance owed and not the credit limit of that credit card. 

Approach the whole thing by thinking of Utilization (what you spend on your credit cards)

The formula is calculated by looking at all your "open" accounts, find out the credit limit dollar amount and what you currently "utilized or spent" for each credit card. Add each open account's credit limits together to get the total called total credit limits. Then add up all money you've spent on each credit card called total balances owed. DO NOT include car loans, house mortgages or personal loans. those are considered installments, they do not apply to credit utilization. Now divide the total balances owed by total credit limits, you get a decimal. Multiply that decimal by 100. That gives you the percentage of revolving utilization.  If you owe money still on a "closed" account include the owed money to the addition of the total balance owed. Do the formula again.

Total balances owed  divided by  Total credit limits, multiply by 100. 

Credit karma and Wallethub I advise setting up notifications on to send to your email but only use them as indicators of changes. Overall their scoring system is 20-30 points higher than your FICO score.  Home lenders and dealerships use your Fico score predominantly.

FICO uses different FICO scores.

Fico 8 is used for loans for automobiles.

Fico 5, 4 and 2 together are used for home mortgages. Home lenders base their decision on the median or "middle" score of those. Pulling a Fico report once a month has saved us a ton of credit inquiries (hard pulls). One hard pull from one lender results in 3 hard inquires. I found out the hard way. Talked to 10 lenders and my report showed 30 hard pulls on Fico. anything over 10 inquiries is considered "excessive" and dings your credit pretty hard. If you do 10 inquiries in one week those can be removed, sometimes credit agencies miss it, you must dispute. Anything I've disputed I've gained 9 points on average.

other stuff. 
If you have credit cards don't close them, they affect your length of credit history, as well as good payment history. 
If you have Charged off credit cards, look at Your credit report, if they are "open" they count towards your revolving utilization. You utilized the credit card by spending money. If you "settle" by paying an amount less than the full balance owed, they close the account and that account clears off from effecting revolving utilization.

Ultimately the best thing to do to get your credit score to its highest point is to pay the balance in full because not only does it stop effecting revolving utilization but it also clears your report of "missed payments" on that credit card account as your in "charged off" status. Missed payments count even more toward your credit score. 

Of the 14 or so Mortgage lenders we talked to, none of them understood the rules of charge off. They could not tell us if the charged off credit cards affected our credit as stupid as that seems. You can ultimately decide to not pay a charged off credit card because of the 7 year statute of limitations and the debt gets removed, any contact you make with that credit agency starts over that 7 year period. however what you must think of is this, those charge offs most likely include late and missed payments which will ding you that entire 7 years. They do not go away immediately when your account is closed by the bank that gives you the credit card. If your bank tells you you can't use your credit card anymore by them locking it and calling it charged off, they will say over the phone if you ask that it's "closed". It's not closed, it's will be deemed still as "open" on your credit report thus effecting your "Revolving Utilization" category.    

The best way to increase your revolving utilization of credit is to spent 20% of the total credit limit. If you only have 1 credit card and it's limit is $1000. Don't spend anymore than 20% of that $1000 limit. If you have two or more credit cards the pertage is based on the total credit limits of all cards. $1000 limit and $2000 limit. this Is $3000 in limits multiplied by 20%. So that's $600. Split in 2. Spend $ 300 on one card and $300 on other card. Pay them once your credit card statement shows a minimum amount due. Don't pay the next day, wait for the statement. Then pay the minimum. Don't pay the full balance as the next creditreport would show your balance of $0 and the utilization or spending of credit stops. If your not using/utilizing/spending your not showing the credit agencies you can use credit or make payments. No activity means no credit increase. Always utilize 20% but no more each month. One tip I was given was to pay any utility off with my credit card until I got up to that 20%. Then pay using other credit cards. Remember, it's 20% utilization of all credit cards combined.

if you have a high interest rate I would suggest only spending 10% of the limit. Leaving your balance at $0 is bad and spending over 20% is bad. Never max out a credit card. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.