Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EX - "Risk Level 'High'"?

tag
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

EX - "Risk Level 'High'"?

Received an Experian alert today -- a card posted a ~$1.9K balance, which puts it just under 5% of the card's $40K CL.

Experian tagged the Balance Increase with a 'Risk Level' of HIGH, which I'd never seen (or never noticed) before.

While such a balance is higher than typical for me, it's not unusual.  My aggregate CL is $300K; my total reported revolving debt (which I always pay of w/in 30 days, unless I BT) is currently $3.5K or < 1.2%.  Current EX score is 814, recently down from 830 or so due to a refi and subsequent credit card inq.

Is the 'Risk Level' tag a relatively new thing, or have I just been oblivious?  (Oblivious wouldn't be a first.)

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: EX - "Risk Level 'High'"?

My experience with Experian alerts and risk level is that they have nothing to do with credit scoring and everything to do with typical credit monitoring service alerts. You said your balance is higher than "typical", and my guess is that Experian is not taking your entire profile into account, but is commenting on the fact that an account posted at $1900 that previously had not and alerting you to that fact.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like typical CMS fluff to me.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@expatCanuck wrote:

Received an Experian alert today -- a card posted a ~$1.9K balance, which puts it just under 5% of the card's $40K CL.

Experian tagged the Balance Increase with a 'Risk Level' of HIGH, which I'd never seen (or never noticed) before.

While such a balance is higher than typical for me, it's not unusual.  My aggregate CL is $300K; my total reported revolving debt (which I always pay of w/in 30 days, unless I BT) is currently $3.5K or < 1.2%.  Current EX score is 814, recently down from 830 or so due to a refi and subsequent credit card inq.

Is the 'Risk Level' tag a relatively new thing, or have a just been oblivious?  (Oblivious wouldn't be a first.)

I wouldn't worry about it. It is just a "notification" from EX.

I got a "high" level alert because I had $280 report this month for one of my CCs, which is $280 higher than last month for the same card. 

Message 4 of 5
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sounds like typical CMS fluff to me.

I hate fluff.

Smiley Wink

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.