cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ex spouse still has me on his mortgage

tag
renee68

Ex spouse still has me on his mortgage

Ex spouse still has me on his mortgage after 3 years. He was late several times and has not been on time for 14 months. He says that he hasnt been able to refinance due to not being on time. He says that he has to stay current for one year in order for a bank to refinance him, which he has been now. My question is, besides his late payments hurting my credit score, is just the mere fact of me being on his mortgage causing me to have a higher debt to income ratio hurting me as well?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Ex spouse still has me on his mortgage

@renee68 wrote:

Ex spouse still has me on his mortgage after 3 years. He was late several times and has not been on time for 14 months. He says that he hasnt been able to refinance due to not being on time. He says that he has to stay current for one year in order for a bank to refinance him, which he has been now. My question is, besides his late payments hurting my credit score, is just the mere fact of me being on his mortgage causing me to have a higher debt to income ratio hurting me as well?

Yeap the mortage is raising your DTI ratio.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 5
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

Yes, any financial instrument that you are a joint applicant or a guarnateer (as a minor or somebody with less than stellar credit),  you must include them as a liability on your financial statements as well.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

+1

Legally, you have yourself on the loan.

Creditors wont care that you are divorced, they will pursue both as jointly responsible.

Message 4 of 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

+1. You're still liable for the loan but the balance will not have any serious impact on your FICO score. Installment loan utilization is weighed much less significantly than revolving utilization.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.