cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Examples of credit being "too good" for something?

tag
sarge12
Senior Contributor

Re: Examples of credit being "too good" for something?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi BBS.  If trended data end up becoming a reliable part of the CRA datasets, then we'll certainly see some of what you are talking about.  (And indeed it's possible that some issuers are doing some of this now.)

That is, a person may end up having a great 300-850 score -- and remember that the score traditionally measures only the risk of the person becoming severely delinquent, not whether he is profitable to a CC issuer -- but the trended data show him as a person who generates very little money in swipe fees and no money whatsoever in interest.  That would be sombody like me.  My FICO 8 and 9 scores are in the 820s but I make the CC issuers negative revenue owing to my low spending, bonus chasing, and refusal to ever carry a balance.

What he said...my situation also. +100

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 11 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sarge and CGID, good replies and I agree with what you both are saying.

One sort of X-factor that needs to be taken into consideration, though, is what happens when someone with great credit scores encounters adversity.  I never pay a penny of interest either, just like the two of you.  But, if something ever came up... some sort of life event that blind-sided me and I had no choice BUT to expand on my 1% utilization, I could at some point be forced to carry a balance out of necessity.  Sarge I know financially you are in a place in your life where you're equipped to likely get through one of these times without having to go to the well, but I wouldn't be.  The question I have then is how would we predict that someone with an 800's score would fare against an equal event to someone with say a 650 score?  Would we assume that the 800+ person in this otherwise equal example would be less of a risk to bring their accounts current again in at some point in the future?  If so, they could potentially be a profitable customer (at some point) with little risk in the meantime until some event like that may happen.

I think CLIs on stellar profiles sort of come down to the creditor.  I agree that when you look at a person that's got 800+ scores that's got CCs with high limits that never report more than 1% utilization there's really no reason for a creditor to extend more credit.  I'm sure this is the reason that creditors don't extend more credit to these individuals.  Conversely though, there are plenty of examples of this same person getting auto-CLIs out of the blue for no reason.  Or, creditors like Discover that will let someone SP their way from a $5k SL to $50k in 1.5 - 2 years when they never report more than 1% on the card and never take their balance outside of single-digit utilization at any given moment. 

Message 12 of 61
sarge12
Senior Contributor

BBS...I guess it depends on how you use Discover...they seem to not be very generous if their card is not one of your go to cards. They are a jealous lender in my book, and at least for me, the stingiest of all my cards. Current CL is 6200 with them, and last time they approved CLI, the increase was only 400 dollars, I think. Definately my stingiest creditor by far, so I almost never use their card as a result, so it does work both ways. Discover IT...the IT stands for the credit limit....It's Tiny.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
Message 13 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

BrutalBodyShots,

Income slightly over ~$100k, total credit limits approx $125k. Roughly a dozen revolving card accounts, and one $30k 5 yr car loan that's on pace to be paid off 3 years early. 3 of my cards are used for regular monthly purchases totalling $2-3k monthly, the rest are used sparingly for a small <$100 purchase each month. No card ever carries a monthly  balance, I actually pay them off immediately in full even before the statement closing date. Some cards can see up to 5-6 payments in a calender month as I don't like balances to accrue. 

Message 14 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

Adidas,

Great info,I will definitely look into this!

CreditguyInDixie,

The guide looks very rich on information, thanks for posting the link.  I'm not in need of a CL increase as I barely charge 2-3% of my available credit each month. But I do think it's very good to have as high a CL as possible in the unforseen event your utilization may temporarily spike. 

Message 15 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sarge,

I agree Discover is very stingy, at least in my case. My CL was opened with a $14.5k line 11 years ago , it has since peaked @ $16k. The last increase was 3 years ago for just $400 as well, nothing since. It's one of my go-to cards, I use it at least 15-20 times a month and rack up nearly a $1k in monthly charges so they're at least making something on my swipe fees. 

Amex has been even stingier. I opened that account in '02 with an $8k limit, they quickly bumped me up to $25k. I got into some serious financial debt in '03-04, maxing out most of my cards. When the financial crisis hit in '08, Amex demanded I pay off the balance in full or risk closure of the account as I was only paying slightly over the minimum. I managed to BT all but $5.7K of Amex to WAMU (now Chase). They left the card open but slashed the CL down to the $5.7K balance still leaving my card maxed out. I managed to totally get out debt in 2010-11, all cards were paid off. Despite drowning in debt at the time, I never once missed a payment or defaulted on any of my accounts. 

Amex is my 2nd go-to card, I charge about $800/mo, however the CL has remained at $5.7K since '08. I wonder if regardless of my 850 FICO score, they have an internal red flag of the past. BOFA and CAP1 did a similar thing as Amex back then on 2 of my cards, and like Amex neither has raised my CL's since. Or maybe it's because I'm not really a "profitable" customer as has been discussed on this thread.  On the other hand, I also have other cards which I opened well after I was totally debt free, 7-8 years old that have not seen increaess since inception. 

Message 16 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

Keeping with the theme of profitability I have noticed a trend, maybe its just me. When my scores where in the mid 700s I used to get a ton of mailers, like 3-4 a week. After my scores got up around 780 I was only getting a few mailers maybe 1-2 a month. As soon as my scores surpassed the upper 700s I haven't seen a single mailer for a credit card since. I'm definitely opted in as I will occasionally still receive offers for personal loans.

Anyone else have a similar experience?
Message 17 of 61
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sarge,

@I agree Discover is very stingy, at least in my case. My CL was opened with a $14.5k line 11 years ago , it has since peaked @ $16k. The last increase was 3 years ago for just $400 as well, nothing since. It's one of my go-to cards, I use it at least 15-20 times a month and rack up nearly a $1k in monthly charges so they're at least making something on my swipe fees. 

Amex has been even stingier. I opened that account in '02 with an $8k limit, they quickly bumped me up to $25k. I got into some serious financial debt in '03-04, maxing out most of my cards. When the financial crisis hit in '08, Amex demanded I pay off the balance in full or risk closure of the account as I was only paying slightly over the minimum. I managed to BT all but $5.7K of Amex to WAMU (now Chase). They left the card open but slashed the CL down to the $5.7K balance still leaving my card maxed out. I managed to totally get out debt in 2010-11, all cards were paid off. Despite drowning in debt at the time, I never once missed a payment or defaulted on any of my accounts. 

Amex is my 2nd go-to card, I charge about $800/mo, however the CL has remained at $5.7K since '08. I wonder if regardless of my 850 FICO score, they have an internal red flag of the past. BOFA and CAP1 did a similar thing as Amex back then on 2 of my cards, and like Amex neither has raised my CL's since. Or maybe it's because I'm not really a "profitable" customer as has been discussed on this thread.  On the other hand, I also have other cards which I opened well after I was totally debt free, 7-8 years old that have not seen increaess since inception. 

I, like you mentioned in previous post, generally make multiple payments on cards monthly and also usually pay before the statement cuts. It seems to be very common that this keeps us from recieving credit limit increases, but I will not change this behavior to get higher credit limits as higher unpaid balances tend to drive me crazy. I actually hate how long it takes for some pending charges to actually post. Many times the only reason I am waiting to pay a current balance is there are pending charges on the card that I am waiting to post so I can pay it all. Rarely is there ever a statement balance with a minimum payment showing. In my opinion this practice is best and causes me to treat the cards use more like non-credit card purchases, since it will very soon come out of my checking account. Study after study has proven that consumers are more likely to spend due to the fact that credit card charges come out of checking accounts in the future, and people are less likely to make unneccessary purchases when it comes out of currently available checking balance now. I admit that making sometimes 5 payments on a card in a month borders on OCD behavior, but it works for me. I also pay power bills and such as soon as they post a new bill.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
Message 18 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sarge12 wrote:

BBS...I guess it depends on how you use Discover...they seem to not be very generous if their card is not one of your go to cards. They are a jealous lender in my book, and at least for me, the stingiest of all my cards. Current CL is 6200 with them, and last time they approved CLI, the increase was only 400 dollars, I think. Definately my stingiest creditor by far, so I almost never use their card as a result, so it does work both ways. Discover IT...the IT stands for the credit limit....It's Tiny.

This is a perfect example of "YMMV" as I've had the exact opposite happen with me.  If I put less than $100 through my Discover card they seem to not like it and don't give me CLIs.  If I put $2000+ through the card, I've been given $4k CLIs.  I just think there is no way to predict how Discover will react and that it's very profile-specific for whatever reason.

Message 19 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

Octopus and sarge, both of you have indicated that you have a card or cards that you have not been able to get CLIs on.  From what I saw though, neither of you indicated whether or not you are requesting (and getting denied) CLIs or if you both are referring to auto CLIs simply not happening.

Message 20 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.