Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian vs. Credit Karma

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian vs. Credit Karma

Ok, this isn't a question....I'm sharing this because I feel stupid, lol. But the lesson is good, and it was a positive outcome for me. So, I have been using Credit Karma and free Experian, to watch my scores. I wondered why my Experian score was like 40 points higher than my TU and Equifax scores (which were similar to the TU and the Eq scores on Credit Karma). Today, based on something I read on this forum, I decided to do the free trial of Experian, and was shocked that my TU and Eq scores are within 5 points of my Experian score! I came on here and found out that CK uses Vantage, so all this time I thought my TU and Eq score were around 735, they are actually like 40 points higher! I am thankful that I found you guys!! 
Experian: 782

TU: 779

Eq: 776

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

Re: Experian vs. Credit Karma

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok, this isn't a question....I'm sharing this because I feel stupid, lol.

Silly! Smiley Happy  There's no need to feel stupid. You're doing what we all started out doing, learning--and we're all still doing that. Shoot, I learn something new practically every single day. Keep up the good work, and congratulations on your nice scores! Smiley Very Happy

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 2 of 13
805orbust
Valued Contributor

+1.  @SoCalGardener is spot on... you are not alone. But yes, Credit Karma is great (best?) For monitoring data, scores not so much... like really not so much. 😆

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you 😊 

Message 4 of 13
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you 😊 

You're welcome! And don't ever think you're stupid just because you don't know something--yet.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 5 of 13
citymunky
Established Contributor

Weird.

Credit Kerma's TU and EQ VantageScores are usually higher than FICO scores. That's why most people say CK is "not accurate."

My EQ VantageScore is 720 but my EQ FICO score is about 100 point lower.

Rebuilding since 2021

Closed CCs
USAA (Jul 2019| Settled CO), Jasper $1 CL (Jul21-Jul22), Sable $250CL{Secured} (Jan22-Jun23), CreditOne Platinum $750CL (Jul21-Aug23), Prosper $1.9K CL (Jan22-Apr24)

Starting FICO 8 Scores:
Current FICO 8 Scores:

Message 6 of 13
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

@citymunky wrote:

Weird.

Credit Kerma's TU and EQ VantageScores are usually higher than FICO scores. That's why most people say CK is "not accurate."

It depends on the profile.  Vantage seems to weigh utilization much heavier than FICO and actual derogs not nearly as much.  I have a clean report with high utilization and my Vantage scores are 90 points lower than my FICO scores.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 7 of 13
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@EAJuggalo wrote:

@citymunky wrote:

Weird.

It depends on the profile.  Vantage seems to weigh utilization much heavier than FICO and actual derogs not nearly as much.  I have a clean report with high utilization and my Vantage scores are 90 points lower than my FICO scores.

This.

There is no direct correlation between V3 and FICO (any model) as they weigh things differently. You can't just assume V3 is always higher than FICO. 

Sometimes the scores are very different, sometimes they are very close (which is the case for me).

This phenomenon also happens within in FICO, for example, people monitor their FICO 8 scores and are shocked when they apply for a mortgage and find out there is 100 point difference between them.

Message 8 of 13
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@EAJuggalo wrote:

@citymunky wrote:

Weird.

Many INQ + new cards reporting can also lead to a big hit with Vantage 3.0 scores even with clean history and low utilization, but to your point the amount and the direction (higher/lower) is very profile-specific.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 9 of 13
citymunky
Established Contributor

I'm not assuming.

This the general consensus across internet. I understand everyone credit profile is different.

Rebuilding since 2021

Closed CCs
USAA (Jul 2019| Settled CO), Jasper $1 CL (Jul21-Jul22), Sable $250CL{Secured} (Jan22-Jun23), CreditOne Platinum $750CL (Jul21-Aug23), Prosper $1.9K CL (Jan22-Apr24)

Starting FICO 8 Scores:
Current FICO 8 Scores:

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.