Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FDIC interference?

tag
IOBA
Senior Contributor

FDIC interference?

I will probably call FDIC direct, but thought I would put this out here first.

My x friend has made bad choices.   Bounced checks, charge-offs, etc.   

What she has recently complained about is her direct deposits from ss are sometimes coming through and sometimes not.   She is not eligible for a bank account due to her past actions, so she has it put in a relatives account.   And about half the time, the deposits are sent back to ss.  

Both ss and the receiving bank verify all information is correct.   So it made me wonder, would FDIC interfere with her deposits?

The bank said they could if there were garnishments or liens against her.   **I don't think she has any of these yet.**

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?   I have the number for FDIC but not ready to call them.   lol - it's not that important to me.

Thanks!  Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: FDIC interference?

PS - eventually, she does get the money.  I suspect the IRS will be garnishing her ss check soon, since she owes taxes for 2009 & 2010.  She's basically telling the IRS it's NOT her fault and they can FOAD.

Message 2 of 33
laz98
Senior Contributor

is it really not her fault?  just curious.  my gf's dad is a CPA, maybe i will ask him Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 33
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know for sure but i wouldn't think this would be a concern or a function of the FDIC.

However you need to tell your friend that the IRS does not have a sense of humor when it comes to collections and ignoring them will not make it all go away. The longer she puts this off the more she will possibly owe in penalties and interest when it all finally catches up to her. And it will. 

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 4 of 33
IOBA
Senior Contributor

In her opinion, NOTHING is EVER her fault!!!!

It could be bad luck about her checks, or it could be that she's p'o'd the wrong person/entity.   Either way, I suspect the IRS will garnishing her check soon.   

I would love to hear back what your CPA friend says.   My banker thought it was  VERY plausible that if the wrong people/entity was upset, that they would use the FDIC to track her money movements.   And ya know, that kinda makes sense to me, if there is a lien or garnishment out there for a govt entity.  Not sure if they could legally do it or not, but who knows?

Message 5 of 33
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Marine - I agree.  I have been trying to get her to agree to talk to them or to set up payments.  I have a POA for her (from last year when she needed help), so I could do it, BUT I am not messing with the IRS without some basic information first (like her information from HR Block for 2009) so I can find out who has liability there.  I suspect she does, although she denies it.

I wont' set up payments for her --- she wont' agree to giving the IRS a dime.  Nada.   And she definitely owes for 2010.   She won't give me permission to file for her, but I am given all the icky mail.   Hhmm....go figure.

She contacts me when she wants money -- which I wont' loan to her.   

So, ladeda.   Whatever happens, happens.  It's not my responsibility to chase down her responsibilities or to solve her problems.    And if she wont' listen about the IRS, or the banks, or anything else, oh well.  

Message 6 of 33
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@IOBA wrote:

Marine - I agree.  I have been trying to get her to agree to talk to them or to set up payments.  I have a POA for her (from last year when she needed help), so I could do it, BUT I am not messing with the IRS without some basic information first (like her information from HR Block for 2009) so I can find out who has liability there.  I suspect she does, although she denies it.

I wont' set up payments for her --- she wont' agree to giving the IRS a dime.  Nada.   And she definitely owes for 2010.   She won't give me permission to file for her, but I am given all the icky mail.   Hhmm....go figure.

She contacts me when she wants money -- which I wont' loan to her.   

So, ladeda.   Whatever happens, happens.  It's not my responsibility to chase down her responsibilities or to solve her problems.    And if she wont' listen about the IRS, or the banks, or anything else, oh well.  

I agree 100%.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 7 of 33
laz98
Senior Contributor

i will post when i hear something back...

from the perspective of someone who hears about people's finances & taxes day in & day out, she is being very stubborn & naive to think the IRS won't come after her.  people come into the CPA office all the time, wondering why there is suddenly a garnishment on their wages, or a tax lien on their home.  so many people think that they can just tell the govt to FOAD, but that's just not the case.  it may take time, but it always catches up to you.

Message 8 of 33
laz98
Senior Contributor

ok, here is what i got...it's not much though.  he was pretty busy, so i got a condensed version.

he said it probably has nothing to do with the FDIC, it's probably that it's not her account, & it could be they are looking into it for possible SS fraud.  is your friend's aunt a representative payee on her SS paperwork?  that would authorize her to receive the payments for your friend, & might smooth any issues as far as account ownership goes.  (i didnt' ask about this, but can't she just get a paper check?  i know they discourage it, but it's not forbidden.  might be easier than all this stuff!)

he strongly advises her to set up a payment plan with the IRS, because they CAN & they WILL take her money, no question.  i'm sure she doesn't want that.  has she been in contact with the IRS at all?  as MVV stated, interest & penalties are just piling up on her.  does she work?

Message 9 of 33
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Her reality is different from most people's.

1.)   She has trouble with paper checks because she can not cash them.   No bank will let her inside their doors.   She's cost too many of them money and then has politely told them to FOAD.

2.)   Her last set of paper checks she signed over to me and I deposited.   But the bank (Bank of America) would not release the funds for five days.  It was a Friday late afternoon before a three day weekend.   BA doesn't feel that they need to immediately release gov't funds.   I did not have enough cash in my account to cover her checks, not that I would have anyways, because in a sense that would be loaning her money.    The check cashing places will not cash her checks anymore either.   I don't know what that real story is.

3)   She knows she owes for 2009 to the IRS.  She says it's HR's fault because they held her Traditional IRA and they gave her disbursements from it (drained the account), therefore they should have known about it and included it on her tax return.   Since they did not, and she pays them a lot of money for protection, it's on them, not her.   And before you ask --- no, she will not call HR and talk to them.   It's not her problem, therefore not her responsibility to inform them THEY owe the IRS $1500 from THEIR mistake.  

4)   She thought she might owe for 2010.   When her 1099's came in, I ran them through the tax program, and she definitely owes!  It's about 5k.   She paid NO taxes during 2010 and her  taxable income was roughly 42k.   Again, she doesn't feel this is an issue.    I told her about about the tax return and owing money.   I asked her about sending them some money from her income.   She said no - the IRS does not get a dime. 

5)   There was a problem with her ss check coming in and she refused to call to find out what happened.  That is what prompted me to wonder about the FDIC.

6)  She has no intention of calling HR block or the IRS regarding 2009 & 2010.  

Advice please -- since I have all of her tax info for 2010, should I just file her taxes (saying she will pay later) for her?   OR leave it alone and let the IRS catch up with her later and ask for her return?

Thoughts -- how long do you think before the IRS takes action regarding 2009 taxes?  2010 taxes?   Her notice from the IRS came end of December 2010 (re: 2009).    She hasn't and won't respond to the IRS.   She has one valuable asset - a vehicle, paid in full, that the IRS could possibly find out about.  No bank accounts in her name.

Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.