Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO dropped due to dispute?

tag
butterflyblu
New Contributor

FICO dropped due to dispute?

I had a collection with Capitol One that I went to court for last year and ended up paying it off.

It was never reported a year later  that it was paid, so I sent the court paper work that states paid in full, and my credit report showing it is still open on my report to all three agencies.

I get a "Score Watch" text that tells me that my FICO changed.  I was thinking it was resolved and showed paid. But, it shows consumer dispute, account under investigation.

My score went down about 20 points. YUCK.

Is this supposed to do that?

Thanks for the input 

UPDATE****** THANKFULLY THE DISPUTE WAS WORTH IT!  SINCE THESE WERE MARKED AS PAID ALL THREE REPORTS UPDATED AND I GAINED 40 POINTS!!!! SO HAPPY!   Smiley Very Happy

Message Edited by butterflyblu on 05-18-2009 11:56 AM
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
nothingman02
Valued Contributor

Re: FICO dropped due to dispute?

It is my understanding that when you dispute an account with a CRA, that particular account would not be considered for scoring by FICO until its resolved. That a/c was probably helping your score with the payment history and age.
Message 2 of 8
fused
Moderator Emeritus

When you dispute a collection, scores are likely to go down. Collections are not factored in payment history or length of credit history
Message 3 of 8
nothingman02
Valued Contributor

Uh...er...my bad. Thanks.

The a/c was by Cap One, so I assumed it was (despite the OP clearly mentioning it  Smiley Happy) an OC listing and not a CA a/c.

Message Edited by nothingman02 on 04-08-2009 11:31 AM
Message 4 of 8
butterflyblu
New Contributor

Thanks for the clarification. 

Do you think then as soon as the investigation is settled and removed or showed "paid" that the score should go to where it was, or above it?

Message 5 of 8
nothingman02
Valued Contributor

Ok. Let me try and understand this again. Is the listing on your report by a CA or the OC? 

An OC collecting th debt is different from a CA collecting a debt. In the case of the latter, there is no impact on the score with a dispute. The only impact would be when the listing comes off of your report.

Message 6 of 8
butterflyblu
New Contributor

The account had gone to collections, it shows Capitol One not a collection agency on my report. 

Is that what you meant?  Sorry, new to the  boards so not too sure about the abbreviations..

Thanks.

Message 7 of 8
nothingman02
Valued Contributor

You have to check if the account has been 'assigned' to an outside CA. Right now it seems like the account listing is from the OC in which case it is helping your score and disputing it has resulted in that listing not being considered for scoring. But after the dispute is resolved, if the account stays, you should have your points back. However not all the points.

The best way to deal with paid a/cs is GW letters. You could ofcourse dispute inaccurate information no matter what.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.