Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FRCA-Duties of Financial Institutions When Reporting Negative Information

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FRCA-Duties of Financial Institutions When Reporting Negative Information

Is there any way to dispute because of these section of FCRA

I have several items that I was never notified about.

Duties of Financial Institutions When Reporting Negative Information Financial institutions that furnish information to “nationwide” consumer reporting agencies, as defined in Section 603(p), must notify consumers in writing if they may furnish or have furnished negative information to a CRA. Section 623(a)(7). The Federal Reserve Board has prescribed model disclosures, 12 CFR Part 222, App. B.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FRCA-Duties of Financial Institutions When Reporting Negative Information

You can certainly dispute the information if it is reported inaccurately, however, the notification advising you that an institution will report information [positive or negative] to a credit bureau is usually stipulated in your cardholder agreement and or/installment agreement.  I don't believe any other notification is required..Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 10
MercyMe
Frequent Contributor

Dispute on, people.  But if at all possible, do it in writing, sending copies of documentation to support your dispute, along with a request that their MOV be provided to you, upon completion of their investigation, as it would just seem to me, after all this time and countless disputes, that if you dispute electronically, you'll get an electronic investigation, which will, more than likely, come back verified.  Any comments, Barry?
Message 3 of 10
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

A pretty high percentage of my electronic disputes have worked just fine.

With the exceptionj of EX.  EX hates me.  And the thing I am disputing will drop off before I can get a resolution, so I have given up with EX.
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
You can certainly dispute the information if it is reported inaccurately, however, the notification advising you that an institution will report information [positive or negative] to a credit bureau is usually stipulated in your cardholder agreement and or/installment agreement. I don't believe any other notification is required..Smiley Happy

The reason I am asking is that I have found no information is regards to this anywhere.
GMAC follows this to the letter of the law. "This letter is to inform you ..." and they spell out this exact reference.

As this was enacted in 04 or 05 the disclosures do not apply to this (my history is all longer than that).

Looking to see if I can challenge the reporting of "adverse Action" as I was not notified of such action.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know for sure but if your account was charged off before the Act was enacted, then I would bet it would not apply to that particular account but I could be wrong.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I don't know for sure but if your account was charged off before the Act was enacted, then I would bet it would not apply to that particular account but I could be wrong.

No charge off's.
My reports are really too accurate. I was looking for a legal way to make companies remove lates.

I was never notified that you intended or did report adverse action on my credit report as required by....
Message 7 of 10
Barry
Administrator Emeritus

MercyMe wrote:
Dispute on, people.  But if at all possible, do it in writing, sending copies of documentation to support your dispute, along with a request that their MOV be provided to you, upon completion of their investigation, as it would just seem to me, after all this time and countless disputes, that if you dispute electronically, you'll get an electronic investigation, which will, more than likely, come back verified.  Any comments, Barry?

While I'm far from an expert on the FCRA, I'd have to agree with dazednconfused.

Barry
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Timothy,

I'm given to understand the effective date of 623(a)(7) is July 2004. The notice can appear on your billing statement, but not in fine print.

A financial institution generally may provide the notice about furnishing negative information on or with any notice of default, any billing statement, or any other materials provided to the customer, so long as the notice is clear and conspicuous. Section 217 specifically provides, however, that the notice may not be included in the initial disclosures provided under section 127(a) of the Truth in Lending Act (15 U.S.C. 1637(a)).
These groups suggested that the Board require the disclosure to be on the front page of the notice or billing statement, and require it to be in bold face type and in larger print than the information that accompanies it. The Board notes that section 217 requires financial institution to provide the notice of furnishing negative information in a clear and conspicuous manner.

Message Edited by Noah_Bodie on 05-28-2007 03:03 PM
Message 9 of 10
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

I have never mailed a dispute.. All of my success has been with electronic disputes. You should always print the verification\confirmation page though!
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.