Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud Flag on a report on My FICO

tag
matrix12
Valued Member

Fraud Flag on a report on My FICO

I was looking at my latest 3B report on My FICO.  I just noticed for the first time that my TU report shows a "Fraud Flag" under the "Credit At-A-Glance" section.  Does anyone know what this means?

I am wondering when this popped up, so I looked back through all my reports on My FICO.  It has been on there at least since April 2016.  It doesn't seem to have affected me since I have taken out a mortgage, an auto loan, and opened 2 credit cards in that time.  Do I need to do anything about it?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Fraud Flag on a report on My FICO

Fraud alerts are posted under the criteria set forth in FCRA 605A.

They are requested only by the named consumer or his/her authorized rep.

While fraud alerts are intended only to be posted at the request of the consumer, the CRAs routinely assume that any assertion of unauthorized use of an account or other fraud or potential identity theft isssues raised by a consumer is an inherent request for an intial fraud alert, and the CRA will post a fraud alert as an authorized rep.  Not per se a bad practice, as it is usually to the consumer's short term benefit.  Did you previously, around the time the fraud alert was entered, send any communications to the CRA that raised any account or transaction not mine or not authorized assertions?

Regardless, FCRA 605A permits the consumer to remove any fraud alert at any time by simply sending written notice along with proof of identity to the CRA. 

If you wish the fraud alert removed, simply send a written request to the CRA, accompanied by a copy of a government-issued photo ID as proof of your identity.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.