cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud/ ID Theft on Credit Report! Help!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fraud/ ID Theft on Credit Report! Help!!

Hey everyone,

I recently disputed info on my equifax report- it said I had a collection from Dish Network for $63 but I've never had Dish so I know for a fact it is inaccurate. The debt collector is " Anderson Financial, PO Box 3097, Bloomington IL 61702-3097"  Has anyone had any experience with them? And please any advice on how I handle this situation? Do I need a police report? Should i freeze my reports?

Oh and some other info-

There was also an incorrect address on my report, a PO Box in Missouri ( and I live in Southern CA) so I'm guessing that was the address from the fraud/ ID Theft.

When I disputed it with equifax the one for the address was "found to be inaccurate, and was going to be deleted" but for the collection it said the info was found to be true.

I disputed a Collection in Apri 2011 for the same amount, for the same company and once results for the dispute came back it said it had been found to be inaccurate and it would be deleted. 

Any help/ advice will be greatly appreciated!!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Fraud/ ID Theft on Credit Report! Help!!

I'd get a police report. Otherwise it'll be sold from CA to CA and eventually it could get verified. Send a copy of the police report to Dish Network, the CA, and to each of the CRAs and that should permanently end this.

AFNI is a pain to deal with.

A freeze won't do anything, but if there's a possiblility there are other accounts out there used by this thief, then a fraud alert might be in order.

Message 2 of 4
Booner72
Senior Contributor

AFNI is the worst bottom feeder in the world and they will report anything for as long as they can.  You really have to raise cane to get them to remove debt.  The also talk to you like a cussword on the phone when you call them to try to fix it.

I have a letter from them agreeing to delete, and I have it saved on 3 different computers in case I need it someday.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Once you have a police report in hand, which FCRA 603(q)(4) calls an "identity theft report," you can send that report to the CRAs and request a block of the alleged idenity theft related information from your CR under FCRA 605A.  You can also use that identity theft/police report as basis to place an extended fraud alert in your credit file (FCRA 605B), or as supporting documentation in a direct dispute with the reporting party under FCRA 623(a)(8).  See the implementing rules at 16 CFR 660.4(d)(3) for recognitition of  an identity theft/police report as supporting documentation in a direct dispute.

Additionally, FCRA 615(g) provides the consumer the ability, once identity theft is alleged, to request a debt collector to provide all information that the consumer would otherwise be entitled to if the consumer were not a victim of identity theft, but wished to dispute the debt under any other provision of law applicable to that person.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.