Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello, New here

tag
scarfa21
Frequent Contributor

Hello, New here

Hello, I just found this place and had a few questions.  I have recently just paid off all my credit cards and loans.  My questions is a bout my cards, they are all cards with a yearly fee, Credit one, Capitol one, and Verve.  They arent that old maybe 1-2 years. I also have a Macys card and a Kohls card, but no fees on those.  My question is can I close any of these and get a card with no fee?  Or will this hurt my credit.  My score rose from 640 to 700 as of yesterday when I checked.  I just dont want to hurt my credit more by closing and then getting another card, but I really hate paying a fee for a card, especially since my credit is good enough now where I do not need a bad credit card anymore. 

Thanks for reading

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Re: Hello, New here

First, don't let all your cards report a $0 balance. You'll lose points for that. Let 1 card report a small balance. Second, I would apply for new cards first and then close the cards with the AF's.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Personally I'm not a fan of closing cards when doing a rebuild. Other opinions may differ of course but one course of action you could take is to see if those companies will waive your annual fee. If not see if you are eligible for an upgrade which would take you up to the next best card of theirs without an annual fee. And they shouldn't have to do any hard pull for an upgrade. They just take your current card history and slide it over to the new card.
Message 3 of 4
scarfa21
Frequent Contributor

Thank you!!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.