Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello everyone...long story ahead!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello everyone...long story ahead!

My first time posting here. I figure I'd need to properly introduce myself. I've been reading the forums for about 2 months now.. trying to absorb as much advice as I can get. I'll give you a brief snippet. Pretty much hit rock bottom about 3 years ago after divorcing. Lost everything I worked for after 19 years of great credit (never ever checked my scores after 2004, but I was told they were very good). I've been completely TERRIFIED 😱to see the damage that was done.

I finally checked my score for the first time in many years. I almost died. My 1st credit denial letter came in with a score of 415 in 2017 from Lane Bryant. I never checked again until March 25, 2019.

I started out at 525 across the board. 4 collections 4 closed accounts (including my foreclosure listed as closed), 4 late payments.1 installment loan and 1 credit card (Barclay's which isn't even my card with a 4k SL)!!

I tried credit karmas suggestion and applied for CO-QS1 and Credit One. I was approved for $300 SL for both. My score jumped to 552 across the board. I was stoked, and started reading up on ways to improve my credit. My actual goal is to buy a house in another 3 years (my 3 year period for foreclosure will be over 11/2019).

I happened to keep coming across these forums in my search. I'll be honest, I spend more time here now like a vouyer 👀 than I do on FB or IG the last few weeks 😂. I feel like I should invite you all over for coffee and a chat.

I wanted to say hi, and also I need a lot of encouragement. I've paid almost 2k off of the collections accounts in the last 2 months (waiting for the last to drop- they were paid off 2 weeks ago) so I'll be at zero with that. I've made multiple micropayments to both new cards in the 2 months that I've had them to keep them paid in full, but my CU is high, because the balance is so low ☹. CO- QS1 just started reporting me 2 weeks ago (hoping the perk kicks in soon), Credit 1 reports immediately (do yourself a favor and never apply for their card!). The Barclay's card with 4k turns out to be my mom's card that she listed me as AU. Unfortunately, her CU is way too high and killing my score. So, even though she's in good standing for 3 years I have to remove it from my account, losing positive payment history and also AAoA. Experian was the first to report Barclay's was removed this morning and my FICO 8 actually jumped from 602 to 626 with the removal in 24 hours (that last pesky collection still didn't drop even though paid).

Credit karma hasn't updated. I'm at 602 TU due to 2 HP's and the last collection, Barclay's (not mine), my 2 accounts, my car payment, 4 late payments (last was 12/2018) and 4 closed accounts 2+/2-.

I'm at 612 on CK with EQ (with Barclay's showing), my current 2 cards, car payment, 4 closed accounts 2+/2-, 4 late payments in 2 years (most recent 12/2018), no collections and 4 HP's!

I'm discouraged, because I've tried to apply for the easier store cards via the shopping cart trick and I've been denied resulting in 2 HP's. I was invited to apply for PayPal 2% cash back and denied Tues. I'm not desperate for money, I honestly would just like to build up with at least 2 other decent cards that will eventually grow in the next 2 years, so I have credit available for emergencies or unexpected home repairs once I buy...and not have a bunch of HP's that will affect me at the time I want to buy a house. I've only applied in haste, because of the suggestions on each site and reading the forums to offset CU (yep, I got a little cocky with my chances). But in reality, ideally it would have behooved me to wait at least 6 months after opening my accounts and then start applying.

Now, I feel like I've shot myself in the foot, and I'm probably flagged now. I know it's a process, and in 2 months I jumped 100 points all on my own by doing the right things and cleaning off debt. I'm sure it's probably taken some people way longer to get that jump in score, and I'm not complaining, I'm truly thankful. But I do feel that twang of rejection, and humility, because I've been working so hard over a short time, hoping that someone will give me a break.

Anyways, I look forward to chatting with you all. I hope to celebrate all your achievements with you. I am only going into month 3 of my rebuild, and I hope to be able to share my journey and success with you. I truly love the positivity you guys give to each other! 🙏❤
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Hello everyone...long story ahead!

Welcome to the forumsSmiley Happy

You mention credit karma, but have you actually gotten your true FICO scores? CK gives vantage scores and they are not reliable nor used by most lenders.

The shopping cart trick does not work  9 out of 10 times and results in an HP.

I would get all 3 of your scores, you have the cap one and credit one cards, I would let these age a bit, work on your negatives and you should start seeing a score improvement.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome. You will get there. It's a slow process. Keep your efforts up.

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, for the welcome! No, I haven't gotten my true scores just yet. I wanted to wait till I'm around 4-5 months in to pull FICO, making sure everything is off my account for a better vantage point. By next month everything should be cleared off and I'll be another month into payment history. I have the Experian App which gives FICO 8, I just don't have for the other 2. I guess I just have to be patient before I make the request to ensure all is good. I might just apply for the Discover It Secured in the interim. But still teter on this because realistically, if I wait a few months I can probably be approved for the unsecured.
Message 4 of 17
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks, for the welcome! No, I haven't gotten my true scores just yet. I wanted to wait till I'm around 4-5 months in to pull FICO, making sure everything is off my account for a better vantage point. By next month everything should be cleared off and I'll be another month into payment history. I have the Experian App which gives FICO 8, I just don't have for the other 2. I guess I just have to be patient before I make the request to ensure all is good. I might just apply for the Discover It Secured in the interim. But still teter on this because realistically, if I wait a few months I can probably be approved for the unsecured.

Hi and welcome to MyFICO

I suggest pulling your FICO scores now because for me, nothing was more satisfying than to see where I've started to see my scores increasing. It's really kind of addictive and makes you want to continue on that path. You can check for only $1 at creditchecktotal for a 7-day free trial. Just make sure to cancel on day 6 so you won't automatically be charged a monthly fee. 

Also, have a mindset that creating a great profile is a marathon and not a sprint. This helps with patience.

Also remember that denials begat denials. So once you get one, just slow down and wait before applying again. I agree getting a denial is a pang in the gut, but it happens to all of us--even one's with excellent credit.

IMHO, I suggest not applying for anymore cards for at least 6 months. It's just too many HPs, especially for a decline.

And as others have said, "you'll get there." Patience is a virtue.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the suggestion! My Exp was correct, because it was already available to me. My EQ was only 4 points less than Vantage 3.0. But they still have the collection not removed from my account, and high CU from Barclay's hasn't been removed.

The real shocker was TU. My Vantage 3.0 was almost 38 points higher than FICO. My FICO reports as poor in mid 500's. They still have 2 collection accounts, and haven't removed Barclay's with the high CU. I tried to call EQ but they can't confirm my identity and my account will not proceed for correction until I send them my driver's license, social security card and a written statement. They claim I failed security questions, but there was an address dispute from somewhere I never lived that is tied to my account...and I'm assuming this security question is locking my account.

I'll have to call TU directly. Apparently my friend told me they're very slow to move and update. That TU score shocked me. No wonder PayPal denied me🤦‍♀️
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chubbycherub92... Welcome! In reading your writeup, be aware that as a general rule of thumb collections and BK Chapter 13's stay on your credit reports for seven years and BK Ch 7's stay for ten years. Credit repair is slow and steady. There is no quick fix (wish there was). Now in reading around you will find ideas on submitting "Good Will" letters to lenders and "Disputes" of what you honestly believe are incorrect information in the credit bureaus. Many posters have had some good results doing a credit cleanup.

Not to be depressing but, it took me eight years to move into the better credit card world (times have changed of late and it usually does not take anywhere this long now). Also, as has already been posted you need accurate credit information such as from the annual credit report website. Many of these free credit reports use other than true FICO or VANTAGE type credit report information and are misleading to say the least. CK is one that is known around this forum as not of much use.

When you have accurate credit bureau reports, disputes of actual information will be much easier. You may need to spend some money getting the information you need and may even find that disputes with the credit bureaus can be frustrating (I used snail mail as they seemed to be unable to get it right by telephone and found online can be hit and miss). Also, sent any and all information using "tracked" mail through the USPS as the bureaus seem to be somewhat elusive on receiving some mail (two can play this game). At any rate, I used all of the methods available to get clean credit reports.

It took me two years and I was relentless on forcing the credit bureaus to cleanup their act. Hopefully you don't have any of that. Mention it only for background! Wish you the best in your quest to reacquire a normal credit life Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice! I hope to learn a lot. Technically, my foreclosure is not listed as a "foreclosure". It is "closed/derogatory". I'm not sure how...but it is.
Message 8 of 17
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you for the suggestion! My Exp was correct, because it was already available to me. My EQ was only 4 points less than Vantage 3.0. But they still have the collection not removed from my account, and high CU from Barclay's hasn't been removed.

The real shocker was TU. My Vantage 3.0 was almost 38 points higher than FICO. My FICO reports as poor in mid 500's. They still have 2 collection accounts, and haven't removed Barclay's with the high CU. I tried to call EQ but they can't confirm my identity and my account will not proceed for correction until I send them my driver's license, social security card and a written statement. They claim I failed security questions, but there was an address dispute from somewhere I never lived that is tied to my account...and I'm assuming this security question is locking my account.

I'll have to call TU directly. Apparently my friend told me they're very slow to move and update. That TU score shocked me. No wonder PayPal denied me🤦‍♀️

Oh yes, those security questions can be a nightmare. One MyFICOer joked about it--I wish I could remember who. He said something like "you have to remember the color of your third cousin's eyes who you saw once 30 years ago." Smiley Very HappySomething to that effect.  

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh yes, those security questions can be a nightmare. One MyFICOer joked about it--I wish I could remember who. He said something like "you have to remember the color of your third cousin's eyes who you saw once 30 years ago." Smiley Very HappySomething to that effect.  

True story! In which direction did the sun set on the harvest moon of your birth month, in the light of the pale moon light? Woman LOL

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.