cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help

tag
Lulztech

Help

Maybe not the place but buddy of mines is trying out for some job at a bank but she recently was asked for salary she lied of course now they said shes their top contender and should be getting a call stating she got the job. SHes **bleep**ting her pants about this and asked me will they background check this or is it jus to see what they can offer her and also what do they usually check for. Thank you.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
LittleMsLaur

Re: Help

Well for any sort of job they will do a full background check/criminal history/drug screening. They will also likely contact a previous employer for reference, though they can only ask the employer if she would be rehired. But as far as her background check goes, anything in her report will show up...this will be criminal record info, credit reports, etc. Now when you say she lied about salary I'm a little confused? Did they ask her what she previously made or did they ask what her desired salary is? I've only ever been asked my desired salary...and in that case you can definitely give them a range that's more than you actually expect to receive so then they can counter you. 

FICO: 772 (11/2013) TU:760 (11/2013)

AMEX BCE: 10k
Kohl's Charge: 2k
Chase Freedom: 3k
Discover IT: 7.5k
VS Angel Card: 1k
Message 2 of 6
Lulztech

They Gave her a form that said fill in past salary history which i think is a way to make Sure they get the best offer out of her so she put more than she makes. She isn;'t worried about jobs calling other jobs she didnt leave on bad terms or have any issue except credit identity theft which happened with her and shes all cleared up except one major loan that was defaulted because of the identity theft. Therfor she is asking will they find out about that or is she good? ive heard employers cant find out unless they fax or write the company and that can take months for responds. 

Message 3 of 6
LittleMsLaur

I mean.... It probably depends on the position how in depth they will go. Will they find out? Unlikely I think. You're right...a lot of that is so the business can decide whether you are willing to accept a salary within what they're willing to pay. I mean it's done with now so I'd just have her see how it goes. I do t think they pull tax records or anything and I doubt they'd request it from her previous employer unless it was an obviously exaggerated amount. So I probably would just try not to worry.
FICO: 772 (11/2013) TU:760 (11/2013)

AMEX BCE: 10k
Kohl's Charge: 2k
Chase Freedom: 3k
Discover IT: 7.5k
VS Angel Card: 1k
Message 4 of 6
Lulztech

Thanks for the replies I've been telling her don't worry about it! Thanks
Message 5 of 6
lonelyisland
Frequent Contributor

These days its often the case that the only thing a company will allow to be disclosed about a former employee is start and end salary, and start and end dates. 

I guess it depends on if the new company is very thorough in their background checks, or if they just call the provided references. 

Hopefully not....

I recently overcame my problem of requesting a 35% increase in salary at my new job by simply explaining I knew I was underpaid at my current position. My new employer agreed. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.