cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Are Joint Accounts Calculated for Approval?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How Are Joint Accounts Calculated for Approval?

When we have applied for credit, my husband and I have done so as "joint" account holders with him being the primary, and myself the secondary.  We've done this because he is employed and has the income -- and I don't.  BUT, I actually have the higher FICO® scores.  He would have higher FICO® scores like mine, but for that blasted repo that's on all 3 of his CRs.  Otherwise, our CRs match exactly.  

Is my higher FICO® taken into consideration when we apply jointly for credit?  I have no income but, I notice that my CRs get hit with the inquiries, same as my husband.  I am wondering if I am helping in our getting approvals for credit even without my having any income?  

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Re: How Are Joint Accounts Calculated for Approval?

This is my opinion only but I would say yes that you are helping. I say this first because your higher FICO score indicates that you are at less risk of defaulting on the obligation. Remember FICO is really a risk score based on past behavior and statistical data of a large group of consumers. Secondly and more important if a default were to occur the creditor now has two parties to pursue for relief. Even though you have no income at the moment that doesn't mean you have no assets or future income they could pursue if it came down to a default and judgment.

Please note I am not suggesting that either you or your DH would default simply what I believe the creditors reasoning might be.Smiley Wink

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.