Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To Put my Credit in "Cold Storage"

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How To Put my Credit in "Cold Storage"

Due to some mishaps I suffered in the financial collapse, and other life events, my credit score is cratered.  Unfortunately, one of the sources of damage is a judgment of approximately $2,000.  Since judgments last ten years here in California, it will be at least 2020 before my credit score will increase significantly.  (The rest of the damage was in the 2006 to 2009 timeframe.)

Since even paying off the debts (which I can't afford to do now) won't help my score, what I want to do is treat my credit score/report like a harmful radioisotope: seal it up and lock it away until it goes through a couple "half-lives" and can be "safely handled" again (probably the early 2020s).  I am establishing an offshore financial presence and other means to continue to operate and obtain what I need by means other than credit scores.

I want to make it so no one can add to, access, or change anything on my credit report.  I've read about putting fraud reports on, but I'm not sure if this effectively locks away my credit reports from access and soft pulls.  Does anyone have any idea how I can effectively seal and lock away my credit reports for the next 8 years or so?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How To Put my Credit in "Cold Storage"

The most I know you can do is put a security freeze on your report.  But it won't  do what you want to do.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Howdy stranger! 

I think the 10-yr SOL for Cali is the time frame a creditor has to renew the judgment for collection. It'll still drop in the 7 yrs as set by the FCRA. If ever ready to pay it, some in here had success in getting judgments removed via having it vacated.

Ditto. No such beast exists other than drawing a line in the sane and keeping clean for the next 7.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's kind of what I was afraid of.  Well, no biggie.  It'll complicate things, but not terribly.  The businesses overseas I invested in should be making enough money in a couple of years I'll just buy a house and car for cash (not under my name, of course, until the judgment expires in 2021) and not worry about my US credit score anyway.  I was just hoping for a way to seal off the darn thing whilst it fisses its degenerate little pieces and slowly decays.  But I've got decent cash flow and I'm invested in places that have plenty of oil and have never even heard of FICO, so I'm grateful for that.

Thanks for the feedback.  If anyone else has an angle on this I'd be happy to hear it, too.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.