Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much do you pay in anuual fees?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How much do you pay in anuual fees?

There's really no math to change.  One involves getting the money up front, the other involves getting it over time.

Most people like it up front.  It would be like if your rewards structure was such that you could only cash out rewards 1 year after they were earned.  I don't think many would be cool with that.  I know I wouldn't.

Message 41 of 51
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

There's really no math to change.  One involves getting the money up front, the other involves getting it over time.

Most people like it up front.  It would be like if your rewards structure was such that you could only cash out rewards 1 year after they were earned.  I don't think many would be cool with that.  I know I wouldn't.

Almost every RSU or retention bonus plan I've earned does exactly this, if not broken out over several years.

If the banks up and swapped their bonuses out tomorrow without notice, people would understandably be up in arms. If they started stating clearly up front that bonuses would only be earned after a year, you might be surprised at how many people would still be cool with that.

Message 42 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess it depends on the person.  I know when I got the CSP for the $500 bonus I understood that I'd have it in 3-4 months.  Had the terms stated I'd get it in a year, I'd perceive less value in that and more than likely wouldn't have applied.

But that's me and I can understand how others may view that differently.

Message 43 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, let's not get into an argument frenzy here. OP just wanted to know how much we pay in annual fees, not to argue about rewards. Smiley Happy

Message 44 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

I currently pay zero $0 dollars... Smiley LOL

Message 45 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OmarR

And there are many that would be.

Start a poll and ask if people like their rewards right away or if they'd be alright with getting them after a year (or two, etc).  Sure, you'll find a handful of people like yourself that may not care, but I strongly believe the vast majority would prefer them up front.  Just look at the number of threads that reference institutions like Amex that make you redeem them in $25 increments or whatever. 

Message 46 of 51
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:
Paying annual fees for CCs it's not necessary a bad thing if you get the most out of them. However, some people get premium cards for "status" just to feel important when getting that nice card out to pay and those people are willing to pay for it, bad practice IMO.

Hey, it's cheaper than buying designer clothes or a luxury car!  As long as you're being honest with yourself about why you're doing it, and it makes you happy, go for it!

Message 47 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover CC new users do wait for a year for the second half of its rewards.

Many would rather have their rewards ASAP. Would you rather have a $1K bonus or a $20 a week raise, which would actually be more. Few would notice $20 a week after taxes. A $1K buys the new TV, sound bar, and a NexFlix for a year. $20 a week buys NetFlix and your Wi-Fi carrier for a year (Not actual figures, just an aprroximant)

Message 48 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous

Many would rather have their rewards ASAP. Would you rather have a $1K bonus or a $20 a week raise, which would actually be more. Few would notice $20 a week after taxes. A $1K buys the new TV, sound bar, and a NexFlix for a year. $20 a week buys NetFlix and your Wi-Fi carrier for a year (Not actual figures, just an aprroximant)

Agreed!

Message 49 of 51
iced
Valued Contributor

@LionLawwrote:

@Anonymouswrote:
Paying annual fees for CCs it's not necessary a bad thing if you get the most out of them. However, some people get premium cards for "status" just to feel important when getting that nice card out to pay and those people are willing to pay for it, bad practice IMO.

Hey, it's cheaper than buying designer clothes or a luxury car!  As long as you're being honest with yourself about why you're doing it, and it makes you happy, go for it!

It still seems a strange to me that someone would get a card purely for status in this day and age when nobody cares what card they use. The clerk at Chipotle or Wendy's sees dozens of AmEx Platinums and CSRs every single day, so why anyone thinks that literally anybody besides them thinks their card is cool is beyond me.

Really, the same goes for the cars and clothes, too. With so many people driving luxury vehicles and wearing designer labels, there just isn't any distinction to those things anymore. After seeing your third Maserati in a day, they start to lose any flair they may have had and become just another car on the road. Cars like Tesla or BMW are just everywhere.

Message 50 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.