Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to Report

How do I report a company that has reported me 30 days late on a payment more than 3 times over the course of the last year when I wasn’t 30 days late each time.

I am dealing with a company that has reported me late on 3 different occasions. One occasion they didn’t know why I was reported late to the credit agencies (great), the 2nd time they believe I was reported late for 15 cent but wasn’t sure (even better) and the last time I did pay late but it was the 29th day and I just had a funny feeling they were going to report me late. I actually emailed them to confirm I wasn’t 30 days late in making the payment and they responded by email I was not 30 days late and would not be reported to the credit agencies 30 days late. 2 weeks late I get credit update and I was reported as 30 days late!

I’ve called on each occasion I was incorrectly reported 30 days late to the credit agencies and each time they have removed the late. There’s got to be some recourse to the company....I don’t think it’s okay that I have to keep calling them to have them remove it being that they are actually reporting me 30 days late before the 30 days. My payments right now report 99% on time payments and will be updated again to 100% once they remove the improper late payment.

What can I do to report this company regarding their continual reporting of me being late when that’s not the case?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: How to Report

You can always file a formal complaint with the CFPB if you feel that they are willfully or negligently making inaccurate reporting, and request that they take action, which could include filing of a civil action against the creditor.

You could also report the creditor to the BBB by filing a complaint asserting improper business practices, but the BBB cannot take civil action on your behalf.

In each instance of inaccurate reporting, you can either address it informally by contacting them and getting it corrected, or you can file a formal dispute, forcing an investigation by the creditor, and either their verification, correction, or deletion of the reporting.

The FCRA, however, includes protection against a consumer filing their own civil action on the basis of a party having reported inaccurate information to a CRA.   The legislative history of the FCRA includes concern that furnishers would become reluctant to make voluntary reporting of information to the CRAs if consumers had the ability to file their own civil actions whenever the consumer considered reporting to be inaccurate.  Thus, FCRA 623(c) prevents a consumer from filing a private civil action if the issue is the accuracy of information reported to a CRA.  It requires the consumer to first file a dispute, giving the furnisher the ability to review and correct or delete the reporting.  If the furnisher then verifies the accuracy as reported, the consumer then obtains the right to file a civil action, but the action is then based on the reasonableness of the investigation of the dispute rather than upon having reported inaccurately per se.

Only a government agency can directly file a civil action against a furnisher for having per se reported inaccurate information.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
How do I report a company that has reported me 30 days late on a payment more than 3 times over the course of the last year when I wasn’t 30 days late each time.

I am dealing with a company that has reported me late on 3 different occasions. One occasion they didn’t know why I was reported late to the credit agencies (great), the 2nd time they believe I was reported late for 15 cent but wasn’t sure (even better) and the last time I did pay late but it was the 29th day and I just had a funny feeling they were going to report me late. I actually emailed them to confirm I wasn’t 30 days late in making the payment and they responded by email I was not 30 days late and would not be reported to the credit agencies 30 days late. 2 weeks late I get credit update and I was reported as 30 days late!

I’ve called on each occasion I was incorrectly reported 30 days late to the credit agencies and each time they have removed the late. There’s got to be some recourse to the company....I don’t think it’s okay that I have to keep calling them to have them remove it being that they are actually reporting me 30 days late before the 30 days. My payments right now report 99% on time payments and will be updated again to 100% once they remove the improper late payment.

What can I do to report this company regarding their continual reporting of me being late when that’s not the case?

In addition to RobertEG's great advice, perhaps you can do your part by paying your bill(s) on time and for the required amount(s) and you would avoid this problem entirely.  By your own admission you were 29 days late in one instance; yes its not 30 days but you skated very close.  The time to pay your bill is by the Due Date; not 29 days after the Due Date or whenever you feel like paying.

Message 3 of 4
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Op, it is a good thing this hasn't been more of an issue than it could have been. Those lates that they reported were removed each time you called the bureaus, but had they said no and stuck by the lender, it would be bigger problems.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.