cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to delay new CA reporting student loans while they're off the report?

tag
BM3
Regular Contributor

How to delay new CA reporting student loans while they're off the report?

A 9 year defaulted student loan went to new agency (Pioneer) and I got a letter on 12/12 about it. Shortly before that a lot of stuff went off my account, so I was basically in a blank state with like 620 score. I got the Cap One $500 unsecured, so this next month my score should start inching up. My goal is to try and get another credit card to help build ASAP. (And yes I'll get discover orange soon)  What can I do to delay Pioneer reporting until my score can go higher, and how to go about it? It's a USBANK/GLHEC federal loan, shows closed, and 120 days late.

They also show 7k in "fees and costs" which on a 23k loan amount is more than interest over the last 9 years??  

I plan to start rehab.

Help appreciated!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to delay new CA reporting student loans while they're off the report?

Is the original loan still showing on your reports or was that one of the things that disappeared?  When my student loans went to a CA, the CA never appeared on my reports, even during the rehab process. I would contact them to start rehabbing right away and ask that they not report the "collection".  I don't know that there is a way to prevent them from reporting without contacting them, so that is where I would start!

As far as the fees go, they can charge thousands in fees in addtion to the interest.  The CA that had my loans had an additional $12,000 added on ($45,000 + in loans) but if I completed rehab that amount was not charged to me.  However, if I default again it can be added back in.  This was specificially in their rehab agreement that I had to sign, so I am not sure if it is specific to them or if all federal loans are to be treated the same way.

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Is it a federal Perkins student loan or a Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL)?

If so, the ecucational institution is required under either section 463 or section 430A of the Higher Education Act to promptly report the loan and subsequent derogs to the CRAs.  That statutory requirment cannot be waived or delayed.

Message 3 of 4
BM3
Regular Contributor

It still shows on the report as closed. I believe it was the former type of loan (stafford). So I'm a little ashamed asking this but if I have virtually no income what can I say if I want to start paying off somethign for rehab? For what amount of time is that payment locked in, or does it go off taxes next year, or which way down the line?  If maybe someone could point me to some threads if this has been discussed before.  

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.