Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge difference in scores

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Huge difference in scores

Hi myfico,

I have checked my credit reports as of 4/2/2016 from all 3 major bureaus.  My equifax score is 86 points below transunion and 84 points below experian.  All three reports show the exact same info for credit cards opened, payment history and debt owned.  I am not sure why equifax is so low.  I called them and it was not very helpful.  The rep from equifax just told me that is my recent report and that is what equifax has on my file and he was not sure why there is such a huge difference.

Could someone give me any input on this?  Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Huge difference in scores

What score models and versions are you checking? If they aren't all the same model and version, you can't make a comparision.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Join the club! I have the same exact info on all of my FICO 8s and Equifax is 60- 80 points lower depending on the week. I can't stand Equifax. I've had so many problems with them not just including this issue. I don't understand why it's so much lower. Right now TU is 69 pts higher, Exp 58
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same here. My EQ score is 59 pts lower than TU and 43 pts lower than EX

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Join the club! I have the same exact info on all of my FICO 8s and Equifax is 60- 80 points lower depending on the week. I can't stand Equifax. I've had so many problems with them not just including this issue. I don't understand why it's so much lower. Right now TU is 69 pts higher, Exp 58

It is not possible to have that kind of score spread with identical information in all three files. Something is different in Equifax.

Message 5 of 13
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It is not possible to have that kind of score spread with identical information in all three files. Something is different in Equifax.

Revelate suggests Fico 04 and Fico 08 have the same potential score spread due to customization by the CRAs. He recalls reading a Fico blurb mentioning +/- 30 points is possible for both models (total spread of 60 points). I can't confirm the Fico 08 spread - I am in the "buffer zone" and have no scoring differences among the CRAs.

I do know I can "flip a switch" on Fico 04 and cause point spread due to EQ being low to jump from 21 points to 48 points. I have the same accounts on all reports and no inquiries under 12 months age.  ... However, based on a review of reports, I believe EQ mis-codes my NPLS charge card as a revolving credit card. It appears that EQ score 5 (Fico 04) computes the card as maxed out when t report balances on it => boom big score drop. Interestingly, EQ Fico 08 does not react at all.

I believe EQ is tweaked to react more strongly to # cards reporting balances than the other CBs ... at least for my profile.

Credit scores 12/3/2015 pre-holiday spend reporting with 2 of 6 cards showing a balance. AG UT = 2%

Credit Score Model

Equifax

TransUnion

Experian

Fico 08

Fico 04

VantageScore 3.0

* Includes unauthorized HP from PenFed on EQ report that was removed in January (inq had a 2 point impact on VS 3.0 score). No impact on Fico scores.

Credit scores 2/14/16 with 6 of 6 cards reporting - AG UT = 4% [VantageScores up 4 to 7 points, Fico 04 scores down 3 to 45 points].

Credit Score Model

Equifax

TransUnion

Experian

Fico 08

Fico 04

VantageScore 3.0

Pop goes the weasel - Fico 04 scores back up 3/25/16 after dropping to 3 of 6 cards reporting [AMEX charge not reporting] - AG UT = 2%

Credit Score Model

Equifax

TransUnion

Experian

Fico 08

Fico 04

VantageScore 3.0

In conclusion, VS 3.0 is a steady Eddie, Fico 04 suffers from mental aberrations and Fico 08 remains asleep.

Iwantafabulousfico - I do concur with CAPTOOL that something is different in your EQ report.  Perhaps it how an account is coded, # hard inquiries, a late payment or an incorect credit limit or an incorrect original loan amount. If all your open accounts are "young", it could even be a well aged closed account that dropping off one report but still showing on the other two CRAs.

Odds are any Fico 08 difference over 30 points relates to a difference in file data. If the offset is sustainable consider putting together an itemized list of accounts with CLs, loans and other data side by side in a spreadsheet.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

All three are fico 8 models. Another interesting data point would be that my equifax fell by 3 points when I paid off my credit card debt down to 1% as opposed to transUnion and experian which shot up.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

All three are fico 8 models. Another interesting data point would be that my equifax fell by 3 points when I paid off my credit card debt down to 1% as opposed to transUnion and experian which shot up.

If all three are Fico 8, your files are not identical. It's not possible to have an 84-86 point difference unless there is something different about your Equifax file. That said, it could just be a glitch of some sort.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine are like that too. The only difference I see is on EQ my collections still show open. Where as my TU and ex shows closed. So I'm not sure if that plays a factor.
I also have no public records on my EQ , where as my TU has 3. My EX has 5.
I would think that my EQ would be a lot higher than the other 2 because it's lacking the public records. But has those 2 collections. I think those are what's holding my EQ down. Even tho the balance on the collections is 0.
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know what the deal is with mine. I've checked multiple times. I wanted to dispute whatever it was, but I don't know what to dispute. I don't have any collections or late payments on any of the bureaus.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.