Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Id Fraud & The Tax lien the saga continues

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Id Fraud & The Tax lien the saga continues

As some of you may have read my earlier post where some one (I think I know who) filed bogus returns with DW & Mine Id to create tax lien for spite.  We found out only when we got a copy of the lien.  Well over 2 weeks ago the IRS was nice enough to do a withdrawal. We thought it was over wrong.  Yesterday & today DW & I got Exp then TU and finally today Equifax alerts where the liens posted.  Deepending on the CB I have to either fax or prority mail   the withdrawal to all. I am hoping no one checks our credit or tries to cld or other AA while this gets fixed.  We have been in super panic mode.   Then last week we found out we owed under $100 to the IRS for 2007 (some undepayment penalty we forgot about) and because of the bogus lien we got a real tax lien for under $100. We paid that and now are awaiting reciept so we can apply for withdrawl of that lien.  The IRS person we talked to seems to think that will be no problem. Since we don't have the withdrawl for the real one yet    we are disputing this one under National Consumer Protection Act .  This is not fun. I now just hope to have these removed before any any pulls our credit and does AA.    Any ideas how to explain this to any one if somebody does pull in the meantime?  This is like a soap opera. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Id Fraud & The Tax lien the saga continues

@Anonymous wrote:

As some of you may have read my earlier post where some one (I think I know who) filed bogus returns with DW & Mine Id to create tax lien for spite.  We found out only when we got a copy of the lien.  Well over 2 weeks ago the IRS was nice enough to do a withdrawal. We thought it was over wrong.  Yesterday & today DW & I got Exp then TU and finally today Equifax alerts where the liens posted.  Deepending on the CB I have to either fax or prority mail   the withdrawal to all. I am hoping no one checks our credit or tries to cld or other AA while this gets fixed.  We have been in super panic mode.   Then last week we found out we owed under $100 to the IRS for 2007 (some undepayment penalty we forgot about) and because of the bogus lien we got a real tax lien for under $100. We paid that and now are awaiting reciept so we can apply for withdrawl of that lien.  The IRS person we talked to seems to think that will be no problem. Since we don't have the withdrawl for the real one yet    we are disputing this one under National Consumer Protection Act .  This is not fun. I now just hope to have these removed before any any pulls our credit and does AA.    Any ideas how to explain this to any one if somebody does pull in the meantime?  This is like a soap opera. 

Don't borrow trouble, my situation with the IRS was way worse than yours and I could still easily get them withdrawn.  You should be able to upload documentation along with a dispute on some of the bureaus and other than Equifax I had good luck with that.  Snail mail does indeed work, but getting federal liens off once withdrawn isn't a huge deal.

As for explanations just tell the story as you've related it here.  I will say I got a new tax lien at one point (though I had/still have an old one) and no lender even blinked... and a $100 lien, every lender knows why that occurs: IRS got "irritated," filed the small lien for their own version of spite.  If you have to explain it, treat it like no big deal, and odds are the lenders will too.

        
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for calming down.  My only concern has been any AA while I get everything to post.  I have either uploaded or priority mailed the withdrawl for the big one to all three  cb. . The small amount I am still awaiting withdrawl  and reciept for payment from IRS.  They said they would get me those items.  I have disputed the small one under National Consumer Protection Act  in the meantime.  We don't want to loose Amex, Disco, QS or Citi DC over this. 

Message 3 of 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for calming down.  My only concern has been any AA while I get everything to post.  I have either uploaded or priority mailed the withdrawl for the big one to all three  cb. . The small amount I am still awaiting withdrawl  and reciept for payment from IRS.  They said they would get me those items.  I have disputed the small one under National Consumer Protection Act  in the meantime.  We don't want to loose Amex, Disco, QS or Citi DC over this. 

Amex was one of the lenders that didn't care; I can't imagine Cap 1 caring, Disco approved me with tax liens, and odds are Citi won't be strange and awkward.  Tax liens aren't a major bugaboo from a lender perspective for all that it's a score killer for a long time under FICO 8 and earlier.. interestingly enough neither VS3 nor FICO 9 seems to think a lien is a big deal either and since the algorithms reflect the lender's opinions over the past X number of years, that's pretty telling I suspect (790+ on both EX/EQ FICO 9, and hit 800 on EQ VS 3 and maybe EX VS 3 too).

I don't know how the dispute with NCAP will work out, that failed me badly on Transunion and didn't help on Experian (at least it didn't make anything worse there) but I'd be interested to hear if you have any luck with it.

        
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

National Consumer Protection Act has worked when nothing else did. We have problems with another Mrs Backwoods same name, similar birthday, same line of work and same first 3 digits of zip code all the time. DW had one that belonged to the other Ms. Backwoods nothing worked so we wrote very short letter Disputeing under National Consumer saying insufficient data to validate. That got that removed on all three. I had a judgement from another Mr Backwoods about 200 miles away and used it and got it removed.  I am certain with the withdrawl they will remove big one  within the next few weeks  . I hope by then to have the other withdrawl by 5/9/17. I am using IRS Taxpayer Advocate Office.   Fico score according to CCT took a hit between 105 and 65 points depending. Vantage score 20 points.  

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.