Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inaccurate balance

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Inaccurate balance

I've been working hard on my credit for the last 2 years. Always paid on time and tried to keep a low balance (utilization always between 7% to 20%). It finally paid off and I got a CLI on both of my credit cards. I got excited, expecting an increase in my credit score. On the 5th of the month, I got an alert from Experian, "your credit score have increased. Congratulations you also got a CLI". The credit report reflected the new limit. I was ecstatic!  However, the next day, I got another alert, "your credit score have decreased by 15 points. Utilization high. I went back to check and found that they had changed my credit limit back to what it was before the increase. This caused my score to drop and utilization rate to go up. The balances on my TU and EXP are not what my statement balance is showing. Why would they do that? Could it just be a mistake with Exp and TU. I'm disputing the change. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Inaccurate balance

It is  likely that the creditor, when doing their automated monthly updates, incorrectly provided the old credit limit in their updating.

I would call the creditor and advise that their automated reporting appears to be providing the old info.

I would not file a formal dispute until first handling informally.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did contact them and they said that they will follow up with the credit bureaus on their end. But why will Experian post the correct info on my credit report and then change it the next day? So it's not like they didn't have the correct info the day before.

Message 3 of 4
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

You'd have to contact Experian.  We don't have access to the details regarding your situation.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.