Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inaccurate reporting

tag
NeedhoMEownership
Established Member

Inaccurate reporting

Greetings All! After following the advice of a fellow member I am now officially ready to jump in the application pool for mortgage pre-approval. But, after a self credit check via Fico to make sure a pop-up collection was indeed deleted I noticed that a previous repossession that was settled/paid and closed has and is still reporting as a VS three months afterwards. Is this hurting my scores and/or will this cause any concerns when the lender pulls?

Also, another auto lender has been reporting lates differently between bureaus (ex) Dec is reporting no lates (eq) Dec is 60 days late (Tran) Dec is 30 days late. Is there reason to dispute lates? I've contacted the creditor directly to removes lates based on inconsistencies; however they are stating they can't remove - account has been paid since May 2020. 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Inaccurate reporting

Technically, yes, if information is being reported differently to each of the three CRAs, then at least one is either inaccurate or incomplete.   FCRA 611 permits a consumer to dispute the accuracy or completeness of any item of information in their credit file/report.

However, if the information being considered for a dispute is the payment history profile of past delinquencies, the consumer might be advised to exercise caution in disputing.   First, determine what you know to be the actual, accurate, and complete status of delinquency for each prior month.  A dispute with a given CRA of the accuracy or completeness of a monthly delinquency status/level that, if corrected, will add or increase the reported level of delinquency may not be the most prudent dispute.

It is common for creditors to be a bit cavalier in consistency of reporting of prior payment history profile between each of the three CRAs, as they know that they will always have the opportunity to correct if any reporting is inaccurate, and cannot be sued for civil liability over the accuracy of their reporting until after the consumer has first filed and dispute and the creditor then has had the opportunity to correct any reporting inaccuracy.

What does a review of your records show as the actual delinquency and/or its level for each prior month, and is it really to your advantage to file a dispute to obtain accurate and consistent reported level for each prior month?

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.