Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect addresses on reports

tag
Travel1now
Established Member

Incorrect addresses on reports

Two incorrect addresses have shown up on my reports. Both are previous addresses (of at least a year) of my son and of my daughter. I have never co-signed for anything for either of them. Not utilities, not apartment nothing. Seems odd for them to show up. They do list me as a contact on things, but neither of them has applied for credit in a while. Will a dispute of these addresses as not belonging to me, affect my score? I have very goods scores and don't want to rock the boat. I do intend to apply for mortgage financing in a few months. Thanks for the input. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Incorrect addresses on reports

@Travel1now wrote:

Two incorrect addresses have shown up on my reports. Both are previous addresses (of at least a year) of my son and of my daughter. I have never co-signed for anything for either of them. Not utilities, not apartment nothing. Seems odd for them to show up. They do list me as a contact on things, but neither of them has applied for credit in a while. Will a dispute of these addresses as not belonging to me, affect my score? I have very goods scores and don't want to rock the boat. I do intend to apply for mortgage financing in a few months. Thanks for the input. 

It won't move your score.  I know from experience that depending on the bureau, address disputes seem to be same day or up to 3 days to resolve.  I've had my address and name horribly misspelled so I file online disputes.  I'm not sure which company/companies are at fault for sending these updates to the bureaus.  I know it will happen again but it is an easy fix.  Good luck!  

Message 2 of 5
Travel1now
Established Member

Thanks! 

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

You'll want to correct the data at the source, which would be whichever creditor(s) are incorrectly reporting the information.  Disputing it and getting it removed would only be a temporary band-aid, as those same creditor(s) will just incorrectly report the information again and it will return.  The long term fix is to contact them directly and have them report the information accurately. 

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You'll want to correct the data at the source, which would be whichever creditor(s) are incorrectly reporting the information.  Disputing it and getting it removed would only be a temporary band-aid, as those same creditor(s) will just incorrectly report the information again and it will return.  The long term fix is to contact them directly and have them report the information accurately. 

Correct.  My name certainly doesn't change spelling or the numbers in my address doesn't change either.  It has to be a data entry error when reporting to the bureaus.  You would think that only the balance info would need to be updated but that can't be the case all of the time because there is no reason why a random spelling would suddenly appear.  The spelling of some of the names over the years on my reports have been ridiculous and the info reported absolutely doesn't exist with any of my creditors.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.