cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installment loan issue

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Frequent Contributor

Installment loan issue

In June I got an installment loan from my credit union. Then in August I read here about paying it down but only if it doesn't effect your payoff date. I called the credit union and they didn't understand my questions about early paydown so I decided to just try and pay extra one month to see if it would effect my pay off date. Longggg story short my loan will now be paid off in February instead of June.

No big deal right? Well, we are still house hunting so I'm concered that my only installment loan will be paid off before we get a home loan and tank my mortgage scores. Can't get a new loan as the hard pull will hurt me and it's advised to avoid opening new accounts 6months prior to applying for a mortgage. 😭

Any advice?



Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Super Contributor

Re: Installment loan issue

Two of the three mortgage scores are unaffected by the amount you owe on your loans.  The other score is affected.  Most of the veterans here believe that is Experian, though SouthJ may have had a different experience.  I have wanted someone to retest that so we could have a definative answer, but no one has done that yet.

 

Let's assume for a second that it is Experian.  If so, when the loan pays off you will lose about 20-30 points.  If so, what would that do to your middle mortgage score?

Message 2 of 12
Frequent Contributor

Re: Installment loan issue

My mortgage scores are
eq 704 tu 726 ex 726
Hubbys scores are
eq 700 tu 681 ex 726

This was last checked at the beginning of Oct. Both of our fico 8s have increased since then by about 5-7 points across the board. Just from implementation of AZEO.



Message 3 of 12
Super Contributor

Re: Installment loan issue


@ScoreJunkie wrote:
In June I got an installment loan from my credit union. Then in August I read here about paying it down but only if it doesn't effect your payoff date. I called the credit union and they didn't understand my questions about early paydown so I decided to just try and pay extra one month to see if it would effect my pay off date. Longggg story short my loan will now be paid off in February instead of June.

No big deal right? Well, we are still house hunting so I'm concered that my only installment loan will be paid off before we get a home loan and tank my mortgage scores. Can't get a new loan as the hard pull will hurt me and it's advised to avoid opening new accounts 6months prior to applying for a mortgage. 😭

Any advice?

The mortgage scores don't react like FICO 8 reacts to installment utilization changes.

 

In my experience the TU mortgage score reacts slightly to them, while the EX and EQ mortgage scores do not react at all.

 

@Revelate  reported something different, as to which bureau mortgage score reacted slightly, and which two did not react at all, but it was still one score reacting slightly and two not at all.

 

 


Total revolving limits 728500 (602000 reporting) 10/2/19 FICO 8 scores: EQ 744 TU 782 EX 746
Message 4 of 12
Super Contributor

Re: Installment loan issue


@CreditGuyInDixie wrote:

Two of the three mortgage scores are unaffected by the amount you owe on your loans.  The other score is affected.  Most of the veterans here believe that is Experian, though SouthJ may have had a different experience.  I have wanted someone to retest that so we could have a definative answer, but no one has done that yet.

 

Let's assume for a second that it is Experian.  If so, when the loan pays off you will lose about 20-30 points.  If so, what would that do to your middle mortgage score?


Yes @CreditGuyInDixie, in my profile it has consistently been TU FICO 4 which reacts, and EQ FICO 5 and EX FICO 2 which have been completely indifferent. But even the TU score did not react nearly as strongly as FICO 8 and FICO 9. I would estimate that the signal strength was 20%. I.e. if TU FICO 8 went down 30 points, TU FICO 4 went down ~6 points.


Total revolving limits 728500 (602000 reporting) 10/2/19 FICO 8 scores: EQ 744 TU 782 EX 746
Message 5 of 12
Frequent Contributor

Re: Installment loan issue

Losing 20-30 points on hubbys middle score of 700 will kill us 😭

What are some options?



Message 6 of 12
Frequent Contributor

Re: Installment loan issue

Hopefully we will not see a huge change or we get a home loan first.
Since our files are both thin and young (unlike us 😂) it seems every little change to our reports make a huge ripple.



Message 7 of 12
Super Contributor

Re: Installment loan issue

There is very little you can do.  You have ruled out getting a new loan and paying it down.

 

So hope that either (a) you buy your house before the loan pays off or (b) the score change is small.

Message 8 of 12
Super Contributor

Re: Installment loan issue


@ScoreJunkie wrote:
Losing 20-30 points on hubbys middle score of 700 will kill us 😭

What are some options?

I don't think you would lose 20-30 points, more like 4-6 at most, and maybe none at all.


Total revolving limits 728500 (602000 reporting) 10/2/19 FICO 8 scores: EQ 744 TU 782 EX 746
Message 9 of 12
Frequent Contributor

Re: Installment loan issue

I hope your correct SouthJamaica
I would start another loan but the hard pull, lowered age of accounts, etc... would hurt me more than no loan in the short term.



Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.