cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it better just to keep a card that you don't want anymore?

tag
cr101
Established Contributor

Is it better just to keep a card that you don't want anymore?

My initial concern is that axing it would ruin my AAoA. But, I read on here that the card would stay on my report for 10 years, so my AAoA will stay the same for 10 years. Is that correct? 

But, am I better off just keeping it for small purchases, like Netflix, so that they can report a positive payment history? Just how much will this one account help my credit if I continue to make all payments?

14 REPLIES 14
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Is it better just to keep a card that you don't want anymore?

It can stay up to 10 years, but that's not guaranteed. Some actually stay longer, some are removed earlier. Removal of positive accounts, unlike negative ones, is not legally mandated and CRAs can remove them at any time during "housecleaning" or in some instances lenders have removed them for whatever reason. 

Message 2 of 15
zerofire
Valued Contributor

It depends on the card. If it has fees for existing then you want to close it. If there are no fees then even letting it sit with no charges until the issuer gets bored is ok. How did this card fit into your life originally? How does it fit into your life now? Some issuers like to clean house every so often and while good info is supposed to stay for 10 years it is possible that the issuer will want to save some cash dropping the reporting. Other issuers are mechanical and will report to 10yr or longer.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 3 of 15
SoCalifornia
Frequent Contributor

What is your profile like?

Message 4 of 15
cr101
Established Contributor

@SoCalifornia wrote:

The card that I'm thinking of canceling is my oldest, just 3 years old. The second oldest is 1-year old. I just opened 5 accounts over the past month. I have a lot of delinquencies reported in 2017, mainly from student loans defaulting, and 3 med bills from around the same time.

Message 5 of 15
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@cr101 wrote:

@SoCalifornia wrote:

The card that I'm thinking of canceling is my oldest, just 3 years old. The second oldest is 1-year old. I just opened 5 accounts over the past month. I have a lot of delinquencies reported in 2017, mainly from student loans defaulting, and 3 med bills from around the same time.

I would hold on to it.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree, as I see no real benefit of closing it at this time.

Message 7 of 15
zerofire
Valued Contributor

As long as there are no fees like annual or monthly it is beneficial if you keep it open. It is keeping your profile afloat right now. Be aware that government backed student loans never expire and getting them discharged in bankruptcy does not happen in 99.999% of cases.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:

It can stay up to 10 years, but that's not guaranteed. Some actually stay longer, some are removed earlier. Removal of positive accounts, unlike negative ones, is not legally mandated and CRAs can remove them at any time during "housecleaning" or in some instances lenders have removed them for whatever reason. 

A real shock when the First National Bank of Omaha (FNBO) deleted two credit cards that I closed back in the spring of 2016. Had had the cards for five years with no real rewards so I shut them down and FNBO felt spurned and cast me adrift (theatrics here)! Smiley Sad

Message 9 of 15
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

A real shock when the First National Bank of Omaha (FNBO) deleted two credit cards that I closed back in the spring of 2016. Had had the cards for five years with no real rewards so I shut them down and FNBO felt spurned and cast me adrift (theatrics here)! Smiley Sad

The nerve of them! Smiley Mad

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.