Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it worth disputing?

tag
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Is it worth disputing?

@Jarrodpd wrote:

I would have never known about these pulls had I not set up an Experian credit checking thing through USAA my bank.

Definitely review all your reports at least once a year.

Message 11 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Is it worth disputing?

A consumer's  express permission is not required in order to pull their credit report.

The expreess purpose of FCRA 604 is to define certain situations where express permission is NOT required for a party to receive a onsumer's credit report.  Otherwise, many credit apps and business transactions would come to a crawl.

One such purpose is when a consumer initiates a business transaction that would legitimately have need for the party to evaluate the consumer's credit report as part of that transaction.

Whether car shopping gives rise to a permissible pull thus depends upon the degree to which there is a recognized business transaction, not on whether the consumer provided express permission.  The FTC has issued guidelines stating that car shopping itself does not legitimately  give rise to permissible purpose unless/until there is some clear indication that the consumer intends to actually purchase a vehicle and/or seek potential financing.

How serious was your shopping?

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.