Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jewlery clubs?

tag
tayloreat713
New Contributor

Jewlery clubs?

Has anyone ever used those membership jewlery clubs credit cards to improve thier utilization rate on thier credit? Is it worth it?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Jewlery clubs?

@tayloreat713 wrote:
Has anyone ever used those membership jewlery clubs credit cards to improve thier utilization rate on thier credit? Is it worth it?

When users ask this question, the My Jewelers Club card comes to mind. It's worth it if the credit line is high enough to lower your overall credit card utilization and the account reports to the 3 credit-reporting agencies. But personally, I would not consider going that route because you will have to pay some fee and/or purchase cheap jewelry that you will never use. In addition, you are psychologically tricked into believing that your overall revolving utilization is low, even though you have not paid down actual debt. 

Just my 2 cents. Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 6
tayloreat713
New Contributor

I agree on that. I actually opened a jewlery club last month, they are supposed to report to all 3 bureaus one per month. Mine will start 11/15. I did this to help my utilization rate while I focus on reducing/paying off my credit cards.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tayloreat713 wrote:
I agree on that. I actually opened a jewlery club last month, they are supposed to report to all 3 bureaus one per month. Mine will start 11/15. I did this to help my utilization rate while I focus on reducing/paying off my credit cards.

That works. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 6
tayloreat713
New Contributor

So the jewlery club was reported yesterday and my score went up 2 points...what a waste of money! My utilization went from 88% to low $40's so that's good but my debt increased by $100 which is probably the reason why my score only moved 2 points...smh
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tayloreat713 wrote:
So the jewlery club was reported yesterday and my score went up 2 points...what a waste of money! My utilization went from 88% to low $40's so that's good but my debt increased by $100 which is probably the reason why my score only moved 2 points...smh

In that case, I would refrain from spending money on useless tradlines; save money toward paying down debt. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.