cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judgments (civil) ... All judgments remain for 7 years from THE DATE FILED??? Or Date Paid?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Judgments (civil) ... All judgments remain for 7 years from THE DATE FILED??? Or Date Paid?

So I have a judgement on my credit report that was "Filed" on December 01, 2009 ........ I read in most places and also here on myFICO that judgements remain for 7 years but they say "From The Date Filed" ..... meaning I should see my judgement drop off my report after Dec. 01 2016 this year??? (since this year is the 7th year come Dec.)

I satisfied the judgement and paid in full but not do so till some time later. 

When I look on my Credit Karma (not sure what myFICO says as I am currently not subscribed at this time) account for this it shows two things ..... one shows "Reported Dec. 01, 2009" .... then when I click on it the details and 'Date' shows Sep. 01, 2011 .... I am thinking that may be when it was "Paid"?!?!? 

But again from everywhere I read it shows these are to be removed 7 years from "The Date Filed"  ... not the date when paid right? 

So should I expect this judgement to come of this year since this year is 7 years from date filed? Or is it indeed maybe 2018 in Sep. when the judgement shows a date and that date maybe being when it was paid? I am a bit confused on all of this. 

Thanks so much for any further information you can provide on this .... this judgement I know is a ding on my report which otherwise is perfect and I want to know when I should expect to see this dropped off my report? Thanks again 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
willwar14
Valued Contributor

Re: Judgments (civil) ... All judgments remain for 7 years from THE DATE FILED??? Or Date Paid?

No later than 7 years from filing date. Say it was still unpaid and you paid it in Nov this year, It would still drop in december.

CH7 FILED: 08/18/2022, DC: 01/23/2023
Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Judgments (civil) ... All judgments remain for 7 years from THE DATE FILED??? Or Date Paid?

The staturoy exclusioh period is based on the date of entry of the judgment, not the filing date of the civil action.

It is also, if unpaid, the later of  7 years from date of entry OR until the statute of limitations on enforceability of the judgment has expired.

The CRAs will normally exclude based only on the 7 years from date of entry provision, and dont normally monitor the date of enforceabilty under each state statute, or extend unpaid judgmentts to that later date, but could under the provisions of the FCRA exclusion period.

"FCRA 605. Requirements relating to information contained in consumer reports  [15 U.S.C. § 1681c]

(a) Information excluded from consumer reports. Except as authorized under subsection (b) of this section, no consumer reporting agency may make any consumer report containing any of the following items of information:

(2) Civil suits, civil judgments, and records of arrest that from date of entry, antedate the report by more than seven years or until the governing statute of limitations has expired, whichever is the longer period."

Message 3 of 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

When I look on my Credit Karma (not sure what myFICO says as I am currently not subscribed at this time) account for this it shows two things ..... one shows "Reported Dec. 01, 2009" .... then when I click on it the details and 'Date' shows Sep. 01, 2011

Report data should be the same as both services are pulling report data from TU and EQ.  CK, of course, does not provide EX data.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

VERY nice to hear .... I kept seeing the 2011 date on my report But I knew it was sooner then that when I got the judgement notice.

So I went back and saw my papers that were served to me were November 27th of 2009 .... then oddly enough I saw a differnt section on crediot karma that showed my negative issues and said that a public record was one of my negative issues (only one now actually) and showed a date of December 1st 2009 ... which I kenw was more correct.

So they filed this and a coupel days later it popped up on my credit report as a judgement filed against me.

So I am SUPER happy to know that this should be dropping off my credit report at the end of this year in December.

It is so old now that I am not sure how much it effects my credit scrore or being extended credit, auto loans etc. ... but I can;t imagine it helps in any way shape or form.

Thanks SO much for this info .... I wa thinking I had a couple years o go on this bad public record ... but to hear I only have 10 months left makes me a happy camper!!! Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone ever have any issues in the judgement falling off their report at the 7 year mark from when it was filed and first reported on your credit report? 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.