Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Late Drop-Offs... 7 Years!?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Late Drop-Offs... 7 Years!?

Obviously by now I know late payments will drop off your credit report after 7 years.  You know what else drops off in 7 years?  Chapter 13 bankruptcy! Smiley Happy

The point I'm trying to get at and see if anyone will agree, do you think that 7 years is a bit extreme for a single 30-day late payment?  Wouldn't 4 years make more sense and at the same time give a more accurate score / accountability of the users finances?  I do realize that as time goes on, the lates take a backseat in the FICO model (as well as the others).  7 years though... that's almost 10% of your life. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Late Drop-Offs... 7 Years!?

@Anonymous wrote:

Obviously by now I know late payments will drop off your credit report after 7 years.  You know what else drops off in 7 years?  Chapter 13 bankruptcy! Smiley Happy

The point I'm trying to get at and see if anyone will agree, do you think that 7 years is a bit extreme for a single 30-day late payment?  Wouldn't 4 years make more sense and at the same time give a more accurate score / accountability of the users finances?  I do realize that as time goes on, the lates take a backseat in the FICO model (as well as the others).  7 years though... that's almost 10% of your life. 

I agree that 7 years for a single 30 day late seems much too long.

But some would argue that 4 years is still too long

Others might say that it should be gone in a year. You'll probably get as many different opinions about this as there are posters.  Smiley Happy

From a BK years ago to:
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800
6/10 TU -772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 2 of 5
happy0510
Established Contributor

IMO, I think 7 years is good.  People need to realize the importance of paying their bills on time period.  I sure learned my lesson!! If I have had to put in my 7 years, and they change the law in the 8th year, I will be pretty p'ssed off! Lol

Starting Score: 615
Current Score: 709
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have until 2013 + 2014 to get rid of 3 total late payments.  Two of which happened at the same time due to circumstances out of my control (hospitalized).  The other due to travel + at the time I wasn't as credit-worthy as I am now. 

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The 7-year drop off does not tell the entire picture. The other part of the picture is the continuing impact of the lates during their 7-year period.

That is a FICO scoring issue, and not a CRA drop-off issue.  A 30-day late, after a couple of years, has much less impact on your score than does a reported BK tht has aged the same amount.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.