Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lessons learned...

tag
teenastie
Established Contributor

Lessons learned...

Hello myFICO-mmunity,

I was wondering how did you learn about credit? How did you survive the countless myths and rumors regarding credit scoring? I learned about FICO scoring on this site a few months ago. Years ago there was no online community to help the masses understand credit and credit scoring. Further, I was raised in a home that considered credit cards the devil Smiley Surprised How did some of the seasoned veterans in this community know to keep cards at a low utilization? Or that credit mix effects your credit score? I was just wondering where many of us would be if this knowledge was available to everyone decades ago, or where would we be if FICO never shared the criteria of what goes into a credit score today...

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Lessons learned...

@teenastie wrote:

Hello myFICO-mmunity,

I was wondering how did you learn about credit? How did you survive the countless myths and rumors regarding credit scoring? I learned about FICO scoring on this site a few months ago. Years ago there was no online community to help the masses understand credit and credit scoring. Further, I was raised in a home that considered credit cards the devil Smiley Surprised How did some of the seasoned veterans in this community know to keep cards at a low utilization? Or that credit mix effects your credit score? I was just wondering where many of us would be if this knowledge was available to everyone decades ago, or where would we be if FICO never shared the criteria of what goes into a credit score today...

Hello teenastie and welcome.

I can only speak for myself. I learned many lessons the hard way- by making the same dumb mistakes over and over until a light finally came on. That could be a pretty common theme among members here.

After I finally hit botttom by filing bankruptcy I was determined never to go to that dark place ever again. But I continued to make bad credit and money management decisions because I didn't know any better. I knew enough not to ever be late on any payments ever again but my knowledge didn't really go past that.

All my negatives had died of old age by the time I found these forums. Then my eyes REALLY opened!  Smiley Happy  I have learned more here about credit in the last 2 years by reading and researching and contributing and asking questions than in the many decades preceeding.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Of all sources of information I have encoutered over the years, I almost invariably find this site to provide the most complete and accurate information.  The internet is awash with misinformation.

Unfortunately, it takes an investment of time to read all that is availble, and separate the wheat from the chaff.  Most consumers dont have the time or inclination, and thus turn to parties that plead to be objective experts.  They are fodder for the many credit repair organizations  Those organizations are useful for those who dont have the time or inclination to learn the ropes, but clearly emphasize their wallets over their persistence.  The fact that credit repair organizations are specifically prohibited from representing consumers in one of the most important credit repair processes of direct disputes with furnishers of information speaks volumes in my opinion on their lack of proper responsibility.

To those such as you who have made the commitment to learn the ropes comes with it the fruits of the best possible representation.... themselves.

Message 3 of 8
Booner72
Senior Contributor

I didn't know jack about any of this until May of this year when I was desperately seeking FICO pointage. I am so glad that this forum is here. It has really turned my financial life around - not to mention my credit life. I used to charge up my credit to the max, pay the minimum, and think that they should give me a CLI just bc I was never late on payments. Who knew that FICO scores your account as "maxed out" if it is 80% of the limit? Not only have I learned how credit works, but how to better manage finances, I'm going to buy a car within the next 12 months, and I am going to go in there and meet that finance manager in the eye! I was taken for 24.99% financing in June of 2010 bc I WAS SO DUMB! Thanks to everyone here, I refi'd the truck and now my percent is only 6.9%! I now own a home! Seriously, THIS FORUM ROCKS and credit education should be a mandatory high school class. I get and open the mail faithfully (used to just throw it in the backseat). I pay my bills before they are due, check my online balances for all accounts at least once a week, etc etc. If I had put 1/100th of the energy into my credit life in my 20's I would be sitting pretty. Hard lessons to learn. I do know my kids are going to go into their credit-lives with all the info I didn't have.
STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 4 of 8
teenastie
Established Contributor

I would like to thank you few who responded. It's a bit comforting learning that most of us were had the wool pulled over our eyes regarding scoring! About 14 years ago I closed all my accounts. I kept several auto loans open over the years and paid in a timely manner. I thought my scores were pristine with all the "big ticket" loans. To no avail. I now know about how much weight revolvers have on the CR and have supplanted myself within this "game" firmly.

Message 5 of 8
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Literally, the day I turned 18, I started building my credit file with a store CC.  I don't know how I knew, but somehow I knew never to app more than 2x a year.   I started early because I was on my own as a young child/teen.  I had to manage my money very carefully to pay for clothes, school supplies, and food.  (Thank goodness we didn't have cell phones back then, or computers!)  I was determined to make it on my own and not end up in foster care/group home/jail.

In my early 20's, I was denied a mortgage because a CA put someone else's baddies on my credit report.   Although the CA's acknowledged their bads, they refused to remove the baddies and they refused to validate.   That is when I really took matters into my own hands to learn more about that side of credit.

I let those age off cuz I was not confident enough to sue the CA's back then.  (I wish I had!)

** As for the lenders back in those times, if you had any collection - paid or not - they would not give you a mortgage.  In my case, they even called the CA but the CA refused to remove the baddies, although they confessed they weren't really my bads.  They even put that in writing to the lender.  *eye roll*  Still didn't get the mortgage.  But it was a valuable eye opening experience.

Message 6 of 8
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

I had no idea what my credit score was until I went through a period of unemployment in 2008.  I had pulled my credit reports before and checked them for accuracy, but I had never seen a credit score.  I had never been denied credit, so I didn't pay that much attention.  Perhaps rather stupidly, I even bought my first condo without knowing what my credit score was.  I imagine it was provided to me at some point, but I have no idea what it was.  I knew I was getting a competitive rate, but it never even occurred to me that there were things within my control that I could do to maximize my score.  I understood generally that you don't want to be late with payments, but that was about it.  It's inconceivable to me now that I entered into such a large purchase with so little information.  Though I'm not sure where I would have turned for that information at the time (don't think FICO forums were running yet). 

Once I lost my job, and ran through savings, my score tanked as everything fell behind.  In late 2008, I started working again and I needed a credit card to float business expenses.  Unfortunately, I was untouchable at the time as I was between 90 and 150 days past due on about 7 accounts.  I remember the first few months at my new job were stressful because I was worried that someone was going to discover the horrible financial situation I was in.  I applied for a Cap One card but was only approved for $500.  I asked them for more, and offered to prove my annual income, but it didn't matter.  It was a nightmare.  I was still trying to get all of my debts current and climb out of tens of thousands of credit card debt, but I also had to keep enough cash on-hand to afford last minute airfare and hotel accomodations, sometimes for weeks at a time. 

Finally, once I got everything paid current, even though my credit was still fairly horrible, I thought I would take a chance at applying for the company Diner's Club card, figuring that because it was backed by the company, my credit wouldn't be as big of an issue.  I was denied.  I can remember what a sickening feeling that was.  I didn't know how I was going to keep floating expenses on debit cards and cash.  Sometimes the travel expenses exceeded $10,000.  Anyway, I had recently discovered this forum.  I never knew about recons before that.  I decided to ask for reconsideration explaining why I had the late payments, that I had been unemployed for an extended period of time, that I was working again and had paid everything current.  Nothing had been charged off or settled for less than full balance.  I needed the card for work expenses and everything was reimbursed by the firm.  They granted the reconsideration request.  It was such a huge relief.  I no longer felt like I was going to get exposed at work.  That was a major turning point in everything for me.  My credit kept steadily improving as I paid everything off. 

The information on this forum is unbelievably helpful.  Without sounding too sappy, the information here makes real differences in people's lives.  Every day there are people posting how they've been able to finally buy a home for their family or some other such success that would have seemed impossible just a short time ago.  It's amazing how you can take very simple things for granted.  I can remember how nice it felt to be able to check the mail again without fear of the bills and collection notices.  How I no longer had to keep my phone on silent to avoid it ringing all day long at work with collection calls.  There's still a bit of an adjustment.  For so long I was paying so many credit cards and juggling so many debts, that it was a circus act to keep it all going.  Now that it is all paid off, I still feel like I'm forgetting to pay something just because I don't have as many things to pay.  I'm very grateful for these forums.  I hope that anyone else starting out where I was a couple years ago can see that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

My regret is I didnt start caring about credit until after I had graduated college and found a job. I don't have bad credit, just no credit.

Of course when I first started college I would occasionally get a credit card offer in the mail which I ignored, and in person on campus there would occasionally be people handing out these flyers mentioning getting a free pizza or a free sandwhich if you show your student ID, depending on the restaurant, if you apply for a credit card. This was back around 2003 or 2004 before the credit crisis hit and credit card companies were trying to extend people credit left and right, even to poor college students with little income. I ignored them because it just sounded shady to be offering free food like that. In a few cases the flyers just offered free food. You never found out the catch until you went to claim it and found out you had to fill out a credit card application. Real shady so I always ignored it. If I was going to get a credit card it would have been myself on my own terms.

Later I went back for a second degree and had to take out a student loan. I ended up taking out two loans, one for each year since I only needed 2 years to finish my second degree. A little while after graduation I got my first job, and since I had been a bank of america checking account and debit card customer for the previous 6 years, I thought I would go down to the local branch and apply in person. I still didnt know anything about rewards or various kinds of cards, I just wanted a card to build a history.

So in person I talk to the banker and mention I just graduated, found my first full time steady job, only have two student loans, and would like a credit card just to build a history. He asked me questions like my annual income, rent or own, how much I pay in rent, etc. Tells me I will receive a letter in the mail in a week or so with the results.

I seriously expected to get my card in the mail then and be accepted. However a few weeks later I get a letter saying I was denied due to lack of credit rerferences. I was pretty upset, felt like a jilted lover. I now know why they rejected me after I have learned a bit more about how credit cards work but still after that I will never apply for another BoA card. I will still have my checking account with them because I don't pay any fees on it since I have direct deposit, and since I no longer use my debit card except for ATM withdrawls they dont make any money off me anyway. Still I am pretty upset the banker didnt help me more. I was there telling him I wanted to build a credit history, was just out of college with my first job, so he should have known right there I wouldnt have the score to get a prime card and instead set me up with a starter card. Or maybe he did and they just denied me anyway I don't remember what card I applied for. Still he should have been more honest with me based on what I was telling him about what cards I had a chance for.

I was denied for another card a month later from Citi, then just stopped applying and felt like I had to make a few payments on my student loans first. My first payment happened in the summer, then I applied for a Cap 1 card and was approved.

My regret of course I should have got a simple student card 6 or 7 years ago, kept up with the payments and I would be prime card territory now. Now I will just make payments on my loans and card, next month I will start paying attention to utilization and I should be in position this coming spring to app for a decent card. Hopefully by the time I am in prime territory the rewards programs will still exist and there will be no credit card surcharges for purchases. I have been following the Durbin amendment and debit cards saga pretty closely and I fear the merchants will also succeed capping credit card interchange fees, or be able to charge customers extra for credit cards which would eliminate all rewards programs.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.