Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let tax lien fall off report or pay it?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Let tax lien fall off report or pay it?

I have a tax lien on two of my credit reports that is 7 years and 10 months old.  From a credit perspective, am I far enough in that letting it reach 10 years is better?  In other words, if I don't pay it in full, won't it fall off the credit reports in a couple of years?  However, if I pay it in full, it will remain on my credit report for 7 years from the date it was paid - essentially resetting the clock on it.  I guess the bottom line question is - is it better to have an 8 year + old unpaid tax lien on your credit report that will soon fall off or a very recently paid-in-full tax lien that will remain for 7 more years? 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Let tax lien fall off report or pay it?

As far as California goes it is my understanding from what I've read that an unpaid tax lien stays on a CR up to 10 years and a paid tax lien stays on your CR seven years from the date it was satisfied. So paying it "may" reset the clock but, I'm not certain. I'm going to see if I can find a definitive answer and will post.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it is an IRS tax lien and you were to pay it off in full, you can get a copy of the satisfied IRS tax lien from the IRS and send it to the CRA and demand it removed from your CR. This does not apply to state tax liens although Experian removed my satisfied state tax lien. Transunion and Eqifax will not remove my paid state tax lien for seven years. http://www.kiplinger.com/article/credit/T017-C011-S001-new-tax-lien-rules-benefit-credit-reports.htm...
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Check this thread regarding new credit reporting changes coming this year.  This could change your situation.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-in-the-News/Credit-Score-Changes-for-2017/td-p/4676265

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.