Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line of credit, accept or pass?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Line of credit, accept or pass?

So I logged into my bank account online banking and a blurb comes up saying i was preapproved for a line of credit but with a 21.99% APR!!! I know I am still rebuilding but I am really battling myself on whether i should accept it. I want to rebuild my credit not only to get approvd for things bu to receive the best terms. Do I accept and renegotiate terms with credit improves? or do I just pass on it?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Line of credit, accept or pass?

What card?
Message 2 of 14
ttleigh
Regular Contributor

I would call and ask if they ever adjust aprs. That's pretty high for a line of credit. I have 2 and my highest apr is 10%. And I don't have great credit (scores mid 600s)
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its just a regular line of credit at my bank that could be attached asoverdraft n my checking account.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pass. Better offers will come along as your credit improves.

Message 5 of 14
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Pass. Better offers will come along as your credit improves.

Indeed; that APR doesn't beat rewards credit card APR's and as such is effectively a junk tradeline unless you need to be able to write a check for something... even then the limit is unlikely to be hugely workable either.

        
Message 6 of 14
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Increased debt, accept or pass......?

Message 7 of 14
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@RobertEG wrote:

Increased debt, accept or pass......?

Line of Credit is just a revolving tradeline starting at $0, picking one up isn't increasing one's debt load any more than a new CC would in that regard.  Doesn't have to be used, vis a vis my Penfed PLOC which has been idle and will likely always be idle.  I feel sorta silly opening that up as a cash flow buffer, but I suppose it's still the hedge if things go really really sideways if I felt my home would be jeopardized (more BK favorable if things got that bad than the HELOC to my thinking).

Home ownership may not be good for FICO, is good for an additional financing option if needed (and not being dumb with it, just like CC's or any other debt presumably).

        
Message 8 of 14
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Good point.......

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So I logged into my bank account online banking and a blurb comes up saying i was preapproved for a line of credit but with a 21.99% APR!!! I know I am still rebuilding but I am really battling myself on whether i should accept it. I want to rebuild my credit not only to get approvd for things bu to receive the best terms. Do I accept and renegotiate terms with credit improves? or do I just pass on it?

ssalters,
Isn't it nice to have these good decisions to make?
Good luck...great advice here!

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.