Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marathon Visa Closing January 2019

tag
Cherekas
Frequent Contributor

Re: Marathon Visa Closing January 2019

@SOGGIE wrote:
This is an unfortunate situation OP. If I ever receive such a notice from a credit card issuing bank, I would close the account myself and request a written confirmation of my request--so as to have the account reported in my credit profile as 'Account Closed By Consumer' as opposed to '.... By Creditor.'

Thanks for this information! The card was on the chopping block for this year anyway so I was wondering if I should call and cancel after reading this. I have yet to be formally informed by Comenity. However, I just noticed a letter from them in my Informed Delivery for today so if it is a notice, I plan to call them and shut it down myself. I'd already preplaned and replaced the $3k CL. 

ETA: I received the expected letter from Comenity and it says that the relationship with Marathon is ending and the card will be closed effective 2/1/19. I will be canceling by 1/1/19.

Score: F8 EQ 609, EX 597, TU 614 (1/17) Current Score: F8 EQ 701, EX 714, TU 689 (12/18)

Goal Score: 700+ across all 3--Gardening until May 2019
USAA Amex-USAA Rate Advantage VS- Amex Gold- Amex Delta Blue- Macys- NYC CC- Victoria's Secret- Cap 1 QS- NFCU CR- Care Credit- Firestone- Sams Club CC- Best Buy Visa- Paypal 2% MC

Total CL $96,300
Message 21 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My husband and I just received letters in the mail for our store card stating they will be closing the card on 2/1/19 as well.   Such a bad time, we are attempting to purchase the home we currently rent in July.  I wonder how many points both of our credit scores will drop.

Just for clarity, you will not be buying the house until July 2019 -- is that right?  So does that mean you will be going through preapproval in June?  May?

How many cards do you each have (counting the one that will be closed in February)?

Message 22 of 26
sparklerd34
Established Contributor

I got the letter today this was one of the cards that helped me rebuild my credit. I don’t use it as heavy anymore. Takes too long to earn rewards and some of the participating store charge more if you use credit so basically since I’m in a better financial situation now I get my gas from costco. Barclays recently sent me to mercury and now marathon is no longer. Oh well life goes on. It’s was useful long ago.

Message 23 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

So far my scores havent dropped any. The account is listed as closed in 2016 on my reports. I dont know if they did that for a reason, but it matters not anyway at this point.

Message 24 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Adkins wrote:

I've never even heard of Marathon before, must be a region specific gas chain. 

Marathon is a huge refinery based out of Findlay, Ohio. While they do have Marathon gas stations around, the're best known, at least in Ohio, as the parent company of Speedway gas/convience stores.

Message 25 of 26
Cherekas
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So far my scores havent dropped any. The account is listed as closed in 2016 on my reports. I dont know if they did that for a reason, but it matters not anyway at this point.

2016? Thats weird? My card shows closed as of 1/30/19 at consumers request. Because I requested to close it before their close date. Also the close date they provided by mail wasnt until 2/1/19. Not sure why your card would say 2016?

Score: F8 EQ 609, EX 597, TU 614 (1/17) Current Score: F8 EQ 701, EX 714, TU 689 (12/18)

Goal Score: 700+ across all 3--Gardening until May 2019
USAA Amex-USAA Rate Advantage VS- Amex Gold- Amex Delta Blue- Macys- NYC CC- Victoria's Secret- Cap 1 QS- NFCU CR- Care Credit- Firestone- Sams Club CC- Best Buy Visa- Paypal 2% MC

Total CL $96,300
Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.