cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Equifax score dropped 25 points for no apparent reason?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Equifax score dropped 25 points for no apparent reason?

I checked Credit Karma just now and see my Equifax score just dropped 25 points. When I check to see what has changed it says my balance decreased on 3 cards and my account number changed on one of my cards (I thought I lost a card so I got a new card number) Is this at all normal? I did do a hard inquiry 3 days ago, but the hard inquiry isn't even showing up on my Equifax so this doesn't make any sense to me.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Re: My Equifax score dropped 25 points for no apparent reason?

@Anonymous wrote:

I checked Credit Karma just now and see my Equifax score just dropped 25 points. When I check to see what has changed it says my balance decreased on 3 cards and my account number changed on one of my cards (I thought I lost a card so I got a new card number) Is this at all normal? I did do a hard inquiry 3 days ago, but the hard inquiry isn't even showing up on my Equifax so this doesn't make any sense to me.

Credit Karma uses a Vantage Scoring model, not a FICO Scoring model, so it weighs things differently than a FICO score does. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 2 of 8
MasonK
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

VS scores are different, but a 25 point drop is unusual against a HP on that model (esecially if it hasn't reported). Did you pay off all your cards down to $0? The account number change wouldn't be a likely cause. I suspect that your score will self-correct in the next month, though.

If you search around, EQ has been strange lately so it's possible that it's related to that. If you aren't going after major credit activity I wouldn't worry too much.

1/1/16 FICO8 Scores: EX: 407, EQ: 403, TU: 455
4/1/24 FICO8 Scores: EX: 832, EQ: 820, TU: 834
FICO9 EX: 818
Total Revolving Limits: $152,300

Message 3 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Look again and see if the new account was taken into account on Vantage. When new accounts are opened due to a new card number. It looks as if it was counted as a new credit line. It shouldnt. But the comment should cover the loss. You sneeze Vantage goes down.

Message 4 of 8
sznthescore
Established Contributor

It's a possibility that you may have been rebucketed... meaning you have switched scorecards and now are on the lower end of a better scorecard. 

REBUILDER CARDS

Goal: FICO 700+
Message 5 of 8
RobynJ
Established Contributor

My Husbands did the same thing but it dropped 102 points in one day. Credit karma had a notice saying it did not know what the cause was. Hopefully it corrects because there was absolutely no change in the report that we can see. 

> > > > > > > > >

Starting Score:

Current Score:
My highest 818

Goal Score:

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

/
Message 6 of 8
fm92555
Regular Contributor

My scores changed like that too even when I am using the real fico scores here on myFICO. Though not by 25 points.

it will say my balance has dropped and will give me a score decrease and other times give me a score increase when the balances go up. I have never understood this.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have given up in making sense of the VS scores provided by these 3rd party credit trackers. I've noticed that their credit simulators are busted. Meaning, any scenario change does not change your score. That leads me to think it must obviously be broken. 

More importantly, seek solemn in the fact that your future lending decisions will likely be evaluated on your FICO score, not VS.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.