Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NRS collection still showing on report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NRS collection still showing on report

I'm only 20 years old and it appears I've hit my first credit snafu. My first bank account was through Capital One and I had it for just over a year. I was transitioning into a new account with Chase and was just draining what was left of the Capital One account and stopped using it. Well a few months later (November '10) I received a letter in the mail from Nationwide Recovery Systems saying I owed Capital One roughly $82. It went on to say it had not yet been reported a credit agency and wouldn't be if it was paid within so many days. Well having good credit is very important to me so I called them immediately, paid the debt, and the problem was solved to my knowledge. I never gave it another thought until I decided to check my credit report tonight and I saw a collections from NRS with a delinquent status as of January 2011.

I poured through my bank statements looking for that $82 but apparently it was never taken out. And of course I don't have a confirmation number from five months ago. And what gets me is that if that payment never went through, I still never received another notice or phone call from them letting me know it hadn't been paid. Unfortunately it looks like I'm on the losing end of this with no proof of payment, but where do I go from here? If I suck it up and pay them now, does this just go away like it never happened? If so, I don't mind doing that. I just don't want a negative mark on my report when I did my part five months ago when it was asked of me. Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: NRS collection still showing on report

Paid or not a collection can stay on your report for up to 7.5 years.

You can DV the CA and see what happens or write a PFD.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the pointers. I'll definitely be filing away confirmation numbers from now on. My logic is that since I know I received a confirmation number from them after my original contact with them, that number should be somehow linked to my account with them, regardless of whether the payment went through. But I won't hold my breath for that. I'll start with the PFD tomorrow. Thanks again.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE: I took your advice and sent off a PFD letter. The first time around I sent it to the address on my credit report and the letter was returned to me. I googled NRS, used the address on their site, and received this letter in the mail today:

"To whom it may concern:

Nationwide Recovery Systems has been asked to represent Capital One in regards to the above refenced account. As their agent, all communications should be directed to me at the numbers below concerning this situation.

Receipt of your certified funds by NRS in the amount "X" will constitute full and final payment of all monies owed in regards to the above referenced account.

Additionally, NRS agrees to remove any derogatory credit reporting NRS has submitted to the credit reporting agencies regard the above reference account."

That last sentence is my favorite Smiley Happy I'm so glad this worked out. Thank you so much for your help. I wouldn't have known what to do otherwise.

Message 4 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Congrats!  Glad to be of help. 

Hold on to that letter.  If for some reason the CRAs don't delete, it will be useful.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh yeah, I learned my lesson with that. I think it's time to invest in a filing cabinet haha. Is there anything in particular my response letter should say along with the funds? Just wanna make sure I do this right.

Message 6 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Just reiterate that per their letter,  the TL will be removed from all CRAs upon payment.

Send either  a money order or certified check.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.