Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Internal Score?

tag
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

Navy Federal Internal Score?

Today I received my new Navy Federal Flagship Rewards card. I was told Navy issues an internal credit score to their customers. But I couldn't see any evidence of that in the documents they sent me.

Anyone know where I should look for my NFCU internal score? And what's the range of the scores?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Navy Federal Internal Score?

I received my document about 5 days before my Cash Rewards Card showed up. The title of the documents is below and it should be dated the same date of your app.

Navy Federal Credit Union
Your Credit Report and the Price You Pay for Credit

The structure of the form is a Q&A type deal explaining credit, scores, and the bureau they used to deliver a decision. On the backside of that form there is an area that reads "Your Navy Federal Credit Score". It ranges from a low of 100 to a high of 450.

If you haven't received it, contact member services. I actually misplaced mine and they quickly forwarded me another.

Good luck!
Message 2 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I received my document about 5 days before my Cash Rewards Card showed up. The title of the documents is below and it should be dated the same date of your app.

Navy Federal Credit Union
Your Credit Report and the Price You Pay for Credit

The structure of the form is a Q&A type deal explaining credit, scores, and the bureau they used to deliver a decision. On the backside of that form there is an area that reads "Your Navy Federal Credit Score". It ranges from a low of 100 to a high of 450.

If you haven't received it, contact member services. I actually misplaced mine and they quickly forwarded me another.

Good luck!

Oddly I didn’t get this for either my cashRewards or my Platinum but I got one for my CLOC — sans internal score. 

Message 3 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ridgebackpilot wrote:

Today I received my new Navy Federal Flagship Rewards card. I was told Navy issues an internal credit score to their customers. But I couldn't see any evidence of that in the documents they sent me.

Anyone know where I should look for my NFCU internal score? And what's the range of the scores?

Thanks!

The Fair Credit Reporting Act and the Risk Based Pricing Rule requires lenders to notify borrowers when they are not approved for credit at the most favorable rate/APR.  This notice is commonly referred to as the "Price You Pay for Credit" letter and it states the approved APR, credit score, and the credit bureau where the credit report was obtained.  

Navy Federal discloses your internal credit score in the "Price You Pay for Credit" letter but if you're approved at the lowest/best APR you wouldn't be sent a notice.  The score ranges from 100 to 450.

Message 4 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@ridgebackpilot wrote:

Thanks!

The Fair Credit Reporting Act and the Risk Based Pricing Rule requires lenders to notify borrowers when they are not approved for credit at the most favorable rate/APR.  This notice is commonly referred to as the "Price You Pay for Credit" letter and it states the approved APR, credit score, and the credit bureau where the credit report was obtained.  

Navy Federal discloses your internal credit score in the "Price You Pay for Credit" letter but if you're approved at the lowest/best APR you wouldn't be sent a notice.  The score ranges from 100 to 450.

No wonder I didn’t get this. I got approved lowest APR for both my NFCU cards. Thanks!

Message 5 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's too bad that Navy doesn't have a feature similar to that of many other CC issuers, where they give you the score they are using for free each month (in this case their proprietary 100-450 score).  We have so many people with Navy cards that I bet we'd be able to get some good data comparing the Navy score to FICO 8, good enough to make a reasonable conversion generator.  We know that 450 Navy = 850 FICO 8, but it'd be nice to say what a 420 Navy converts to (typically).

Message 6 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

820 perhaps?

If I recall mine was 380, which i took to mean 780 because that's what Amex/Disco had as my Fico score at the time.

Message 7 of 40
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The requirment to send a risk-based pricing notice to consumers, published as 16 CFR 640, only applies to offers for credit or insurance that are made based in part on a consumer report obtained from a credit reporting agency.

Internal records of a creditor is not informaiton obtained from a consumer reporting agency, and thus does not trigger requirment for a notice of risk-based pricing.

FCRA 603(2) explicitly excludes a report based only on internal information retained by a creditor as being a consumer report within the meaning of the FCRA.

"16 CFR §640.3   General requirements for risk-based pricing notices.

(a) In general. Except as otherwise provided in this part, a person must provide to a consumer a notice (“risk-based pricing notice”) in the form and manner required by this part if the person both—

(1) Uses a consumer report in connection with an application for, or a grant, extension, or other provision of, credit to that consumer that is primarily for personal, family, or household purposes; and

(2) Based in whole or in part on the consumer report, grants, extends, or otherwise provides credit to that consumer on material terms that are materially less favorable than the most favorable material terms available to a substantial proportion of consumers from or through that person."

Message 8 of 40
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

Good to know, thanks! I never received any credit-related document from NFCU, even one that disclosed my FICO scores they relied on to make their decision on my Flagship card.

However, I was given the lowest APR available on that card (11.9%) so perhaps they didn't bother to send me the information.

Message 9 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ridgebackpilot wrote:

Good to know, thanks! I never received any credit-related document from NFCU, even one that disclosed my FICO scores they relied on to make their decision on my Flagship card.

However, I was given the lowest APR available on that card (11.9%) so perhaps they didn't bother to send me the information.

Lenders usually only send the "Price You Pay for Credit" letter when you are not approved for the lowest interest rate they offer.

Message 10 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.