Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Advice on ID Theft...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need Advice on ID Theft...

Hey Everyone!!

I really use some help with my current situation and I'm not sure where to start. I received an alert from myfico on Saturday saying I had new accounts reporting. It listed 2 new accounts, both with a 600 limit and 75 balance. I haven't opened any accounts with those details. There was no bank or company listed; just limit, balance owed and opening date of 2/25/16. Both of these new accounts were listed as reported by TransUnion. I pulled a fresh Trans report and these accounts weren't listed. I thought it could be a fluke or maybe I received another members alerts somehow. I just now received an alert that a new inquiry was done yesterday by Warren Boynton Bank in IL. I don't live in IL and I haven't applied or even heard of this bank. I tried calling them but they're only open to 3 EST.

Is it possible I am somehow receiving someone else's alerts? If those new account were actually added wouldn't I have seen them when I pulled a Trans report on Saturday? If those accounts were opened who do I contact if I can't find the institutions name? Again, the alert didn't mention who the bank was. One account said 'credit card' and the other 'revolving account.' When I contact this bank tomorrow can I just give my social and they will find the application? And lastly, when I pulled my Trans report on Saturday I just pulled the one that came with the $1 free trial, does that make any difference? I know I wasn't able to see the soft pulls lenders do so I didn't have access to the full thing obviously. 

Oh, and should I put a fraud alert on my report? I don't want to go through the hassle of its a glitch and I'm getting someone else's alerts or something but will absolutely do if someone is using my info. TIA

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Need Advice on ID Theft...

An initial fraud alert only lasts for 90 days, and requires nothng more than notice to the CRA of suspected identity theft.

You dont need a police report unless you wish to place an extended fraud alert.

I would place an initital fraud alert.

It wiill be removed on its own after 90 days, and if you wish it removed sooner, you simply notify the CRA, who will ask only for proof of identity.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need Advice on ID Theft...

Oh nice, I didn't realize it only lasts 90 days. I'm going to go ahead and do that right away! Thank you!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.